S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Boost into the crankcase is bad

Old 06-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Boost into the crankcase is bad

The CrankVent one way valves are working flawlessly in preventing the boost backing up into the valve cover through the PCV valve. These are the mini crankvent valves.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Comptech recommends the Krank Vent for the '04, '05 and '06 cars, but not necessarily for the previous models. Anyone know why?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly does the krankvent do? Isn't it already vented? I was wondering this since Cody thinks that my pcv is screwed up from boost and blowing oil up the return line past the turbo seals. It doesn't make sense to me, that is his reason for oil being in the charge pipes. I first thought that it was my placement of the oil return but he looked at it and said that isn't the problem.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey,

I did a post for all your guys telling you how to build your own One-Way PCV valve's(krankcase vent kit) for $25 bucs, and you still ask how to pay over $100 for it. Moderators, I am not selling anything just told people how to go to a website called mcmasters and build it themselfs.

J. R.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-eclipse,Jun 5 2006, 02:47 PM
What exactly does the krankvent do? Isn't it already vented? I was wondering this since Cody thinks that my pcv is screwed up from boost and blowing oil up the return line past the turbo seals. It doesn't make sense to me, that is his reason for oil being in the charge pipes. I first thought that it was my placement of the oil return but he looked at it and said that isn't the problem.
When under boost the intake manifold is pressurized and the boost gets past the PCV into the engine. This will eliminate the backward flow through the PCV. It also creates a negative pressure in the engine at less than boost conditions.

All this was detailed out in the original thread that was hijacked by someone wanting to sell them and then parked somewhere unaccessable by the moderator. I'm not going to recreate it. I hope the moderator will come to reason and restore it.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK - I never got to finish going through the thread before it was deleted, but got enough of an indication that everyone thought a Krank Vent was a good idea with boost. I think someone said Comptech was even recommending this?

So - to clarify I called Comptech and asked the question specifically about a krank vent and was told "no - we already have a valve that performs this function so boost doesn't get into the crankcase". I think I'm missing something here...So, if Comptech already this functionality in their kit - why would I need to add a Krank Vent? Thanks in advance - I just have a Competch + AC coming Monday and trying to ensure I get all parts ahead of time (if needed).
Old 06-07-2006, 11:33 AM

I just installed my krank vents and well my only hope is that they are performing there function becuase I cannot tell a difference and I know that they are installed in the proper direction as I checked it twice.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Standing Room Only,Jun 7 2006, 10:13 AM] OK - I never got to finish going through the thread before it was deleted, but got enough of an indication that everyone thought a Krank Vent was a good idea with boost.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Standing Room Only,Jun 7 2006, 11:13 AM
So - to clarify I called Comptech and asked the question specifically about a krank vent and was told "no - we already have a valve that performs this function so boost doesn't get into the crankcase". I think I'm missing something here...So, if Comptech already this functionality in their kit - why would I need to add a Krank Vent? Thanks in advance - I just have a Competch + AC coming Monday and trying to ensure I get all parts ahead of time (if needed).
It sounds like the Comptech rep is referring to the stock pcv valve unless the newer kits are being shipped with their own version.

I think anyone with boost and has experienced a displaced dipstick can attest, the stock pcv valve can't hold back boost. As a matter of fact, after I cleaned my pcv valve I was able to blow on it and hear it leaking
Old 06-07-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by spoiled@21,Jun 7 2006, 01:33 PM
I just installed my krank vents and well my only hope is that they are performing there function becuase I cannot tell a difference and I know that they are installed in the proper direction as I checked it twice.
When the car is idling, pull out the dip stick. It should be harder to pull out, and when it does come out, you should hear a psss sound as the vacuum is released. If you don't, then the valves are not hooked up right.

Quick Reply: Boost into the crankcase is bad