S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Best vented hood for turbo applications?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best vented hood for turbo applications?

Hey guys,

I was going to do the vented hood mod but I have a lot of carbon accents on my car and I'd like to do a partially painted CF vented hood to complete the look.

I will be running an inline pro stage 1 log manifold and 5858 turbo, heat is an issue Im told.

I am concerned about the vented hoods not being able to let out heat as much as the cut hood mod when idling in traffic though, because the rear vents on mugen style hoods are small and not far back enough to be right over top of the turbo/manifold.

On the plus side, from the look (and voltex marketing) on the vented hoods, they play a functional role in downforce. I suspect that the cut hood is less likely to do this because the hood vents don't have a cover from the high pressured air flowing over the front vents (the pressure from outside the hood will cancel out the pressure from the inside of the hood, effectively removing the ability to flow air out at speed)

Thoughts guys?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the same boat, as far as looking for cooling mods to keep undertemps down. From what I've understood, cutting the hood is only good when at a standstill. Once in motion it's pretty much ineffective. I wouldn't even bother going down this route.

I'd purchase a vented hood which would 'suck' out underhood temps at speed. I'm looking at the CWEST hood myself.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S~Factor:

Name:  20120617057.jpg
Views: 4236
Size:  141.3 KB
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 99SH
I'm in the same boat, as far as looking for cooling mods to keep undertemps down. From what I've understood, cutting the hood is only good when at a standstill. Once in motion it's pretty much ineffective. I wouldn't even bother going down this route.

I'd purchase a vented hood which would 'suck' out underhood temps at speed. I'm looking at the CWEST hood myself.
ohh ya, that makes sense to me.

the CWEST hood is nice, nice big vents. for me its not quite aggressive enough though

I was looking at this one:
[attachment=27959:Capture.PNG]
Attached Thumbnails Best vented hood for turbo applications?-capture.png  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been several threads on how this works, mostly in another section of S2KI. Air pressure above the front portion of the hood is low, while underhood pressure is high, so cutting your hood still allows air to flow out at speed. Just don't cut it too far toward the back of the hood, because the high pressure zone at the base of the windshield would indeed prevent air from flowing out at speed.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM

I have a Stage 2 Pfab kit in my S and decided to vent OEM hood.. I can definitely see heat dissipate at a standstill dont know much about at speed though. My only complaint is my car is street parked so when it rains ,water does get in. I usually just drop it up afterward..
Attached Thumbnails Best vented hood for turbo applications?-img_0559.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by f22cjh4
I have a Stage 2 Pfab kit in my S and decided to vent OEM hood.. I can definitely see heat dissipate at a standstill dont know much about at speed though. My only complaint is my car is street parked so when it rains ,water does get in. I usually just drop it up afterward..
ohh wow, looks nice. Same color as my car, and the exact same vents and color I painted them!

Still wanna go CF though...
Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 PM

how did you go about cutting it out...... I want to do this asap but dont know what tool ......
Old 10-02-2012, 07:15 PM

Love my venting but has disscolored my adjuster on my coil over on that side ;/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM

Bobby u discolored urs i melted mine..also recomment s-factor if ur in the metro area

Quick Reply: Best vented hood for turbo applications?