S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Best Turbo Exhuast Setup?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Turbo Exhuast Setup?

I'm trying to figure out my options for selecting a turbo exhuast. I was wondering if someone can shed some light on this topic.

I understand that 3" is optimal because the exhaust flow is fast enough.
Exhuast Basics (great article for those searching w/ the same question in the future)

However I've seen these three setups and would like to know the differences:

1. 3" single (loud?)
2. 3" dual
3. 3" dual until the 'Y' and then 2.5" thereafter.

Specifically, the last one interests me. A local had a Thermal R&D custom built with this type of setup. Here is what he told me:

Hi Tan,
I had a question about your Thermal Exhaust. Why didn't you opt to go for 3" all the way through (including past the 'Y'). I would think the 2.5" piping would impede flow for FI.

>>>Because I was told with the dual system 3" would be too much. If it was a single, 3" would be optimal but not with the dual. Also, with my HP, 3" dual all the way back was a bit excessive and a bit loud. I also had a UR 3" dual before this and it didn't sound what and felt slower thumbsup.gif

**It should be noted that he was running a Comptech supercharger w/aftercooler at 9.8 psi

-Does the fact that a supercharger only "pushes" air vs. the "push&pull" of a turbo make a difference?

-Am I suffering significantly w/ a highflow cat vs. testpipe/straightpipe?

-Lastly, if the Thermal setup is ideal for my purposes (LoveFab GT1 GT3082), what would be a fair price for the setup?
Old 03-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice set up, the only down side i see is the neck down at the cat & the slipfit design
Old 03-01-2007, 11:09 AM

3" single will provide the best power.

if a 3" DUAL with a proper "collector" / split can be just as efficient with the right design.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:25 AM

What is wrong with the neck near the cat and the slip fit design?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:41 AM

do u plan in running this with a 2.5 or 3.0 inch cat/testpipe
Old 03-01-2007, 01:04 PM

I'm planning on a 3" highflow cat setup. I would consider buying the thermal if it is a reliable design.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:29 AM

I have your option 3 running through an invidia exhaust setup, we made new 3in exhaust all the way back to the y...
Old 03-03-2007, 08:30 AM

I'm interested in this question too... I have a friend who owns a dodge SRT-4 and about the only thing cool about that car to me is the fact that he has no muffler... from the factory the SRT-4 runs its exhaust through the downpipe, past the converter, and straight out the back with 3" tubing all the way... I am curious if a simular setup with the S2K would be too loud? Anybody know?
Old 03-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL-OPS-S2K,Mar 3 2007, 12:30 PM
I'm interested in this question too... I have a friend who owns a dodge SRT-4 and about the only thing cool about that car to me is the fact that he has no muffler... from the factory the SRT-4 runs its exhaust through the downpipe, past the converter, and straight out the back with 3" tubing all the way... I am curious if a simular setup with the S2K would be too loud? Anybody know?
more or less, retardedly loud.

I'm not to familiar with the SRT-4 or what kind of turbo / piping it has but in a s2k, no mufflers means your going to break windows its so loud
Old 03-03-2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by SPECIAL-OPS-S2K,Mar 3 2007, 09:30 AM
How can they sell it like that from the factory and have it sell in CARB-Crazy California

Maybe it is a custom job? I agree, it must be very, very loud.

Tyraid2K: I'm curious on what you based your decision to do this on, instead of going 3" past the Y-split

Quick Reply: Best Turbo Exhuast Setup?