S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

attention AEM EMS owners- how do you know when ...

Old 08-27-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what do you do when an O2 sensor goes bad? just start checking volts and ohms? No trouble code?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you have O2 feedback on the O2 sensor isn't used as part of the everyday driving of a an AEM'd car.

If you are tuning and notice it's giving erroneous values I guess you'd check connections then replace the sensor.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:26 PM

I got the EUGO. But I'm referring to a bad sensor. Normally the ECU sends a trouble code. Do we have any means of checking to see what the code might be or are we down to the old fashioned volts and ohms to find the bad sensor?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is a good point...a lot of little stuff can and will go wrong eventually. O2 sensors don't last forever, tps's, map sensors, all of these could malfunction. Trivium, I don't see why you couldn't disconnect the EMS and put the stock ecu in and let the car idle (assuming you don't have huge injectors) to try a trigger a code to track down an issue. No?

However, let's be honest, for the most part this platform has few issues. I think you're more likely to run into mechanical problems than you are electrical issues. The EMS is tremendously powerful...few people really utilize all of the features available because doing so requires lots of time...

Just a thought...
Old 08-27-2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by CourageOO7,Aug 27 2007, 06:38 PM
I don't see why you couldn't disconnect the EMS and put the stock ecu in and let the car idle (assuming you don't have huge injectors) to try a trigger a code to track down an issue. No?
that's what i was thinking, but some codes might only trigger under driving conditions. what do we do?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by chairmnofthboard,Aug 28 2007, 12:26 PM
I got the EUGO. But I'm referring to a bad sensor. Normally the ECU sends a trouble code. Do we have any means of checking to see what the code might be or are we down to the old fashioned volts and ohms to find the bad sensor?
I'm a bit lost. If you know you have a bad sensor then what are you hoping to learn that is new?

If your sensor goes bad you won't know until you tune because the UEGO isn't used during normal driving (unless you have O2 feedback on).

If you have a gauge you can tell by erroneous readings.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Aug 27 2007, 06:46 PM
I'm a bit lost. If you know you have a bad sensor then what are you hoping to learn that is new?

If your sensor goes bad you won't know until you tune because the UEGO isn't used during normal driving (unless you have O2 feedback on).

If you have a gauge you can tell by erroneous readings.
The question is how to locate the bad sensor. Normally I plug in a scanner and it leads me into the direction of the possible problem. Do we have that option with the EMS?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:54 PM

Yes and no. You can't plug in a device and see a code, but you can plug in a laptop and see all sorts of parameters. It's very easy to see where the problem is when you can monitor every parameter individually.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:56 AM

If you haven't seen AEM's serial 19-in-1 gauage check it out. It has 9 fixed channels, and you can program up to 10 more at your will. For each channel you can program hi and/or low alarm setpoints anywhere in the signal range you want. If any channel goes outside the alarm setpoints, the gauge can automatically switch to display the channel with the alarm, complete with red LED warning light to indicate the alarm. So it can display the same information as 19 single-channel gauges and 38 warning lights, all in one 2" gauge.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:15 PM

you guys are over complicating things.

To the original poster: No the CEL does not stay on, Ive tuned hundreds of cars w/ the aem ems and never seen one do that, however you can calibrate your outputs to turn the CEL light to trigger at your desired parameters.

To others:
If you have an issue with the car while running the aem ems, and need to read a code, just unplug the aem, plug in the stock ecu, and do your troubleshooting.

next, dont bother even monitoring the stock o2. If you're wanting to monitor it, buy a wideband.

Quick Reply: attention AEM EMS owners- how do you know when ...