S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Anyone use a custom CAI intake for a turbo

Old 11-06-2010 | 11:45 AM

Default Anyone use a custom CAI intake for a turbo

Hey guys,

In regards to looking for way to reduce intake temperatures, has anyone seen good results creating a custom intake to the faux vent. I have mine cut out and would image there should be cooler air at all times going through there. Currrently I have the filter located in the engine bay next to valve cover.

Thanks,
Old 11-06-2010 | 12:41 PM
15 Year Member

It definitely has to be better. Getting fresh air into the intake is always better. It'll decrease your intake charge = denser = more oxygen = more power and less prone to detonating

It's not too difficult. All you need is some aluminum pipe bends, silicone couplers, and a filter.
Here's mine:
Not seen in pics, I cut out the faux bumper airduct so air is channel almost directly into CAI. In areas with heavy precipitation during the rainy season, this location may not be ideal as it could become to wet. You could remove it and run a different (loacted higher in the engine bay) intake during winter. Here in Southern Calif, heavy rains are rare and when it does rain I drive my Subaru STI

Old 11-06-2010 | 12:47 PM

Nice that is something on my to do list funny it never ends and seems to get larger
Old 11-06-2010 | 12:53 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jacko,Nov 6 2010, 12:47 PM
Nice that is something on my to do list funny it never ends and seems to get larger
hahaha, no kidding.
As I always say, modding the car is a never-ending vicious problem.
I just finished modding the Greedy kit with a GT30 and runs solid but now I'm considering making a new ramhorn-style manifold that keeps everyting else unchanged... it's never ending but fun!
Old 11-06-2010 | 12:54 PM

Nice pics. where did you get the pipes from?

I was thinking about going to a muffler shop and them creating an intake for me.
Old 11-06-2010 | 04:47 PM

I copied Engineer X's idea and moved the filter for my Greddy kit down into the same spot. I went to Pep Boys and bought some plastic 3" universal tubing by Spectre. Sounds ghetto I know, but it's worked great for several months. I'll edit this and post some pics later.

I'm actually undoing it tonight to try a K&N in the engine bay instead. Just curious to see the difference because I was too worried about rain to cut the area above the faux vent. (Air is feeding into that space from underneath, from behind and also from a gap next to the intercooler, but I'm not getting the high pressure effect that cutting the faux vent would deliver.)
Old 11-06-2010 | 05:32 PM

Haha I was thinking about buying the ghetto pipeing as well. Post picks obssed!
Old 11-06-2010 | 07:38 PM

plastic is probably better it won't heat soak as quickly.
Old 11-07-2010 | 07:47 PM

By your command.

Old 11-07-2010 | 10:58 PM
15 Year Member

^^
That looks great! Plastic tubing for the intake is perfectly OK, there's no high pressure there anyway and yes it doesn't heat soak (though there wouldn't be much heat transfer if the pipes were aluminum or steel as the air rushes thru quite fast so the transfer of heat is very minimal)

The pipes I used I bought from eBay, they're just a couple of 90* and 45* 3-inch aluminum bends. I cut them to fit and just coupled them with silicone hoses.

There's actually no "ram air" effect per se, you'd have to have the turbo right in front in the bumper (like some drag cars) or a very short straighter pipe with no air filter and with some sort of NACA or conical (half venturi) shape to create the ram air effect. The air filter negates any air pressure hitting the intake.

There should be plenty of colder air coming in there even whitout cutting out the faux scoop. For sure it's cooler than inside the engine bay.

Quick Reply: Anyone use a custom CAI intake for a turbo