S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Anyone ever tried an ebay turbo Kit?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Anyone ever tried an ebay turbo Kit?

Well before everyone goes wild cause I am asking about an ebay turbo kit, I am just wondering if anyone has ever used one. I know with eclipses, some people have actually had good experiences with the turbos and everything. I know I used an ebay intercooler with piping and all, and the quality was awesome. Got it for $300 total compared to $1000 like an identical name brand intercooler kit.This is for my Eclipe GST not my S2000.
I'm sure the couplers and clamps and all are crap. But how would you think the manifold and everything else would be? Seems like even for that price if you had to buy a different turbo would still be really cheap. Could sell the one it comes with and get some cash back too. Would need a downpipe also I guess but those are fairly cheap to find.
I am not looking for just the same old "ebay sucks" replies. Want actual experience or knowledge on the subject. Not everything "ebay" is pure crap. Sure the turbo might be, but have also heard of good experiences with the turbos.
Here is the kit I saw. What else would be needed besides a tuning device and downpipe?Ebay turbo kit.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts are that there are pros and cons.

This is very much like putting together your own kit. There is no EMS. There are no instructions. And tuning will be your task.

Most kits are put together to avoid the confusion of these tasks. I really like the idea of putting a custom system together. Be prepared to ditch whatever parts are not to your satisfaction and also be prepared to problem solve tuning and install issues.

Definetly not plug 'n play.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I just figured for the price it could be good to get a lot of the basic parts and then go with a better turbo, and wastegate probably and just sell off the ones in the kit, and would still come out ahead.
but been looking some more and saw the Goodspeed turbo kit with authentic turbonetics turbo and Tial wastegate and all for only $2450. Not too much more and I'm sure is much better quality. Comes along with a 1 year warranty as well. Godspeed turbonetics turbo kit.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new manifold for my sister's acura 2.2 cl on ebay and decided not to use it because not only did it just look cheap, the bores were about 75% the diameter of the stock manifold and i didn't want to restrict airflow that much.

you get what you pay for
Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by txchopper5,Mar 29 2008, 01:09 AM
I bought a new manifold for my sister's acura 2.2 cl on ebay and decided not to use it because not only did it just look cheap, the bores were about 75% the diameter of the stock manifold and i didn't want to restrict airflow that much.

you get what you pay for
The whole you get what you pay for saying has been over done. If your dumb about it and don't ask questions and research before buying, yeah you could get something really crappy. I have bought a catback exhaust for my eclipse, o2housing, fmic kit, intake, front and rear stb's, and a lot more all for like 1 quarter the price of name brand items and all have been awesome quality and performed fantastic. Everyone finds one time where you didn't research anything and bought something crappy and start the whole "you get what you pay for" or "ebay=crap" sayings.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 PM

i agree, i get awesome deals on ebay stuff all the time.... but its always awesome deals on brand name stuff that is strictly a bargain price, not a bargain product. if you see something on ebay thats exactly what they have at best buy for half the price its a good deal... but like you said, you just have to see why its cheaper and hope for the best
Old 03-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Former Sponsor

The ebay exhaust and o2 housing and fmic and all I got was not name brand stuff. They were great quality non the less. The fmic was proven to be the exact same core as a name brand one selling for $1000. A lot of these parts are all made in the same places, then some big companies get them and put their name on it and all of a sudden it is a high priced item.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:55 PM

i have noticed these kits on ebay as well. Seems like by the time you get all the additional parts that you would need to make it work you would have about the same money as buying a greddy kit.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003s2k2003,Mar 28 2008, 09:37 PM
The whole you get what you pay for saying has been over done. If your dumb about it and don't ask questions and research before buying, yeah you could get something really crappy. I have bought a catback exhaust for my eclipse, o2housing, fmic kit, intake, front and rear stb's, and a lot more all for like 1 quarter the price of name brand items and all have been awesome quality and performed fantastic. Everyone finds one time where you didn't research anything and bought something crappy and start the whole "you get what you pay for" or "ebay=crap" sayings.
I totally agree, there are some steels out there if you take the time to look, most people don't know how to ask the right questions however. I shop allot on ebay and saved myself allot of money with quality parts, some which are top quality name brands. I would be reluctant to go this rout hover unless you can get some more feedback from the seller. I would ask you this, how much is your engine worth to you? Weigh out the possible wort case scenario with the best.