S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Is a Air/Fuel ratio gauge really necessary?

Old 06-04-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Air/Fuel ratio gauge really necessary?

I've got a Science of Speed 60mm pillar coming in preparation for an SC install and other than a boost gauge, I'm debating whether or not to bother with a narrow band A/F ratio gauge. With the boost levels the BR kit will be pushing and the "no brainer" tuning the ELF piggyback fueling computer is going to provide, I'm doubting the usefulness of an A/F gauge and wondering if I should put something more important in there like a oil temp gauge. Aside from lack of real usefullness, there are not many 60mm A/F gauges out there. Even the wideband versions are all 52mm. The only one I have found is the GReddy A/F gauge, which is more of a quasi-wideband and for nearly $300, I can get an AEM wideband off of ebay for $50 less. I don't think it's worth it. I had a narrowband A/F gauge in my supercharged Miata and as entertaining as the dancing lights were, I can't say I used it for "tuning". It just gave me a warm fuzzy when I stepped on it and the lights lit up in the green.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:08 PM

Heh, well there you go. If you like the bling and are willing to pay for it, then go for it. However, if you dont want to spend the cash, or would rather use the A pillar space for something more useful (which i think is the more logical idea) then go for the oil temp gauge.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that since you will be one of the test rats - a good A/F gauge would be well spent money. $300 is a lot less than the price of a new motor or the legal fees incurred trying to get BRP to cover the damage.

Anyone have any documentation on how the ELF unit actually works?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by WLAURENT,Jun 5 2006, 07:34 AM
I would think that since you will be one of the test rats - a good A/F gauge would be well spent money. $300 is a lot less than the price of a new motor or the legal fees incurred trying to get BRP to cover the damage.

Anyone have any documentation on how the ELF unit actually works?
I'll second that. However, why not get a dual gauge mount and get yourself an oil pressure gauge as well? Sure, you'd be spending some more money, however if I were the guinea pig for a new forced-induction system I'd want to keep certain things monitored. Alternatively maybe go for one of those programmable gauges (I think AEM makes one) which can be switched to show a number of readings. Just my .02c
Old 06-05-2006, 04:23 AM

Wow, I'm surprised by the first response...I think a wideband is key, man. A good wideband will let you know if you start running lean because of a seasonal change (more dense colder air causing you to run lean)...might help you keep from damaging your motor!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:07 AM

^ A agree, i'd consider a wideband to be your most important gauge. If you could only have 2 of the 3, w/ a SC setup, I'd do oil pressure and a/f. Boost is nice but not as critical as the other two.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by s0rted,Jun 5 2006, 01:55 AM
I'll second that. However, why not get a dual gauge mount and get yourself an oil pressure gauge as well? Sure, you'd be spending some more money, however if I were the guinea pig for a new forced-induction system I'd want to keep certain things monitored. Alternatively maybe go for one of those programmable gauges (I think AEM makes one) which can be switched to show a number of readings. Just my .02c
I am getting a dual gauge mount (see below):

I don't think I can go without a boost gauge with the supercharger. It's a good way to detect belt slippage.

Unfortunately, the pillar will only hold 60mm gauges. I don't have anything against 60mm gauges, but for some reason, noone makes a 60mm wideband gauge. The AEM, PLX and the XD-16 from Innovate Motorsports are all 52mm.

I guess I could go with the square box style AF meter, but they're kinda fugly:

Any suggestions how I can fit a 52mm gauge into a 60mm hole?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:55 AM

Just something to think about w/ a SC: belt slippage = loss of boost/power; low oil pressure/bad af = blown motor.

Nice to all three but if you can ONLY have two ....
Old 06-06-2006, 06:25 AM

I don't have anything against 60mm gauges, but for some reason, noone makes a 60mm wideband gauge.
Hey PilotKD, think I've found something:

It hasn't got a digital readout, but it's a wideband AND it's 60mm
Old 06-06-2006, 06:42 AM

What I did was I had Science of Speed make one of the pods 52mm and the other 60mm for A/F and boost. Cost me a little more but I think it was worth it.

Quick Reply: Is a Air/Fuel ratio gauge really necessary?