S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Air-to-Air vs. Air-to-Water Intercoolers

Old 07-05-2001, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air-to-Air vs. Air-to-Water Intercoolers

On my endless quest to find/install an intercooler I have a question:

Which is better (more effective/efficient) ?

From an intallation point of view, compared to the custom-bent 3"aluminum piping that go all the way from the SC down to an intercooler and all the way to the TB, the Air-to-Water seems a lot more simple and much less custom:

All you have is the air-to-water exchange unit which fits easily and comfortably between the SC and the TB, an air exchanger/radiator which you mount easily in front of the radiator, a pump, and some simple rubber hosing to connect the radiator to the pump to the air/water unit...

So, logistically, it seems much easier to install the air-to-water. Plus, with water being the heat-sink, I'm sure it would be a much more effective medium for heat capacity... Plus, wouldn't pumping-losses be less due to the fraction of volume through which the compressed air must travel..?

Let's go you mechanical/electrical pros... give me knowledge!!!
Old 07-05-2001, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the actual efficiency numbers. However, the shorter charge path is useful, especially with turbos. Overall pressure drop through the core may not be much different.

In terms of overall temperature drop, you're still using ambient air to cool the water, so maybe not much change there. However, you can always chill the reservoir to below ambient temp, which gives you a limited time to really cool the air and make big power (useful for drag racing, top speed runs, etc.).

UL
Old 07-05-2001, 06:44 AM

Shaner,

Here is the web site that I mentioned in my PM:

http://www.panhandleperformance.com/interc...ntercooler.html

figured I would go ahead and post here to give everyone a chance to read. Again, this site should be taken with a grain of salt, as it is put on by a company that makes air-to-air intercoolers.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:19 AM
pfb

Theory aside, the most effective practical applications i've seen (rally cars) seem to use air-to-air intercoolers with water spray on the intercooler for additional cooling...
Old 07-05-2001, 07:37 AM

For a street driven car, an air-to-air intercooler is more practical. Read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. There's an entire chapter on intercoolers.
Old 07-05-2001, 03:37 PM

found another web site for intercooler explanation:

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0090/page1.html

two notes: I haven't read it all yet; the web page above is part II - go to the bottom of the page for link to part I
Old 07-05-2001, 04:30 PM

I'm more fluid flow/heat tranfer than mechanical or electrical. The systems you describe should work well when the water is the heat sink, such as on a drag race. It should also have less turbo-lag than an air to air system. Fitting it into the engine compartment may be easier. However, I don't think that you can get better efficiency with a two step intercooler (air to water to air) than one air to air intercooler that takes up the same amount of space and has the same airflow.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:42 PM

Without looking at the details, I would put my money on the water. Cost and complexity are the main drawbacks of water. Rocketman's first link looks like marketing hype.

Also take into account that their test subjects are a Mustang and a Vette. Those cars move a lot more air than the S. I guarantee you will not seen those percentage gains on this car.

Before I get flamed...I am no intercooler expert. Just regurgitating thermo 101 stuff from the back of my head.
Old 07-06-2001, 09:06 AM

After being inspired by xviper's excellent thread of his temperature measuring experiment, I have been doing a lot of looking under the hood the last few days.

Unless we want to place the intercooler "core" BEHIND the radiator, I don't believe an air-to-air intercooler will be workable for the S2K - I can't see where there is any space to get the large diameter piping (matching the SC outlet pipe) past the radiator up to the front of the car without modifying the existing radiator or having a long and complicated (multiple bends) pipe run. This also applies to the piping coming back from the IC radiator into the throttle body.

There is ample space, however, for the cooling section of an air-to-water IC and the piping (or flexible tubing) carrying water would be small enough to sneak past the existing radiator to an IC radiator in the front.
Old 07-07-2001, 07:34 AM

Earlier is was talking about water injection. I found this website that might give you some additional information regarding this type of application for both superchargers and turbochargers. I know that water injection is old tech but it works. I know this from experience. Yes you have to maintain a small water container on board but the benefits are quite good. I'll continue to research this a little more. At least this gives you and alternative source.

Sorry the website is: http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

Quick Reply: Air-to-Air vs. Air-to-Water Intercoolers