S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Aftermarket Valve Springs - How to Choose?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Aftermarket Valve Springs - How to Choose?

Looking to start a data base of valve spring data for the major manufactuers so please submit details if you have them. I am started a list but need to expand when I get more time.

General Details

-Beehive Spring = Variable Spring Rate, these often have great dampening characteristics, are light weight, often made of higher end materials.... Biggest downfall many see for racing is the lack of an inner spring to prevent a dropped valve if a spring breaks.

-Dual Springs - Usually a Single Spring Rate, used an inner and outer spring. With (2) springs you can have a variable rate and if one spring breaks the other can prevent the valve from dropping.

-Standard Single - This is what most OEM's use and the work great on a standard everyday car. As with all parts Beehive's and Dual springs cost more money.

-Matched Spring Sets - To ensure consistancy it is recomended that the springs be matched as closley as possible. For home users this is a great little tool for testing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66835/

-Titanium Retainers - Light Weight but wear faster than steel

-Steel Retainers - Very wear resistant but are very heavy compared to Titanium which if all things are equal will not allow for as high of RPM before floating the valves.

-Material Of Construction - PAC, Steel, Coatings....

-Spring Pressure - When looking at pressure you will need to check the seat pressure and open pressure at a minimum

-Valve Float - This is when the valves are moving so fast that the spring is unable to fully close the valve which leads to incomplete compression/filling, severe valve train wear.... With FI the extra forces on the valves can overcome the springs earlier and this can happen at a lower RPM.

-High Lift / Coil Bind - For high lift cams you need to check the coil bind height of the spring to ensure that the cam does not bind for compress the spring to its minimum thickness. This can be either the point when the coil wires touch or at a point of permanent deformation occurs.

-High Ramp Cams - When using low overlap high lift, usually for Turbo's, the ramp will increase on the valve and to prevent floating the valve

-Spring Sizing for Aftermarket Valve Weights - Intuitivly if we are using a heavy Inconel/St-Stl valve you would need to increase the spring pressure to prevent premature float..... More to come here.

-Spring Pressure Sizing For Boost vs N/A - Now this is the tough one, I have always thought about adding OEM seat pressure and extra force from boost which is equivilent to the area of the valve and boost pressure. For the exhaust as a rule of thumb I use half of the desired boost pressure. So the calculation would be as follows

S2000 Intake Valve
(36mm/25.4 mm/in) = 1.417" Dia = 1.577" Area x 20PSI = 31.5 lb of extra seat pressure required

S2000 Exhaust Valve
(31mm/25.4 mm/in) = 1.22" Dia = 1.168" Area x 20PSI/2 = 11.68 lb of extra seat pressure

So if the factory spring seat force is 80lb then you would want a 111.5lb spring

Breaking In a Spring (CompCams Recomendations) - It is important for new springs to take a heat-set. Never abuse or run the engine at high rpm when the springs are new. Upon initial start-up, limit rpm to 1,500 to 2,000 until the temperature has reached operating levels. Shut off the engine and allow the springs to cool to room temperature. This usually will eliminate early breakage and prolong spring life. After the spring has been “broken-in”, it is common for it to lose a slight amount of pressure. Once this initial pressure loss occurs, the spring pressure should remain constant unless the engine is abused and the spring becomes overstressed. Then the springs must either be replaced or shimmed to the correct pressure.

Manufacturer Spring Specs

Stock
AP1 Intake Spring Pressure = XXX lb/in
AP1 Exahust Spring Pressure = XXX lb/in

AP2 Intake Spring Pressure = XXX lb/in
AP2 Exahust Spring Pressure = XXX lb/in

Supertech
Availible at many retailers but I have purchased from Laskey with great results

Name:  SupertechSpringDetail.jpg
Views: 3414
Size:  81.2 KB

Ferrea
I know that Inline Pro, FullBlown recomend and sell the dual springs and RealStreet the Beehives

Beehive Intake
Seat Pressure: 100 lbs @ 40.4mm
Open Pressure: 225 lbs @ 30.4mm (0.393" Lift)
Rate Inch: 317 lbs
Coil Bind: 26.15mm
Max Net Lift: 13mm (0.512")

Beehive Exhaust
Seat Pressure: 112 lbs @ 40.4mm
Open Pressure: 235 lbs @ 30.4mm (0.393" Lift)
Rate Inch: 312 lbs
Coil Bind: 26.93mm
Max Net Lift: 12.1mm (0.476")

This Spring requires Ferrea Titanium Retainer # E12030 and Ferrea Spring Seat Locator # SL1120 (EXH) and # SL 1119 (INT)
NOTEiscard OEM Factory supplied Spring Seat Locator
For "Stage II" Cams use Spring Locator SL1121 (EXH)

Name:  FerreaSprings.jpg
Views: 3363
Size:  54.4 KB

Brian Crower
Avalible through RealStreet and many others

BC0040S = 65lb at closed height / 235lb at 0.50" Lift
Dual Spring with Steel Retainers

BC0040 = 65lb at closed height / 235lb at 0.50" Lift
Dual Spring with Titanium Retainers

Name:  BC0040SSpecSheet.jpg
Views: 3674
Size:  197.5 KB

Manley
Avialible through Evans Tuning

Spring Kit PT# 22150-16
Titanium Retainer PT# 23150-16

Dual Spring Intake
Seat Pressure: 84 lbs @ 1.580"
Open Pressure: 264 lbs @ 1.1"
Open Pressure: 283 lbs @ 1.050"
Rate Inch: 375 lbs
Coil Bind: 1.000"
Max Net Lift: 0.530"

Dual Spring Exhaust
Seat Pressure: 84 lbs @ 1.580"
Open Pressure: 264 lbs @ 1.1"
Open Pressure: 283 lbs @ 1.050"
Rate Inch: 375 lbs
Coil Bind: 1.000"
Max Net Lift: 0.480"

Skunk II
Need Details

Spoon
Need Details

Science of Speed
Need Details
The following users liked this post:
Paul464 (03-16-2021)
Old 02-03-2012, 03:34 PM

Any experts out there?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great idea, and good job. Hopefully others can chime in with more info.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im working on the same project, spend forever lastnight trying to find a dual spring that will work with AP2 retainers and havnt found anything yet. Also went looking into beehive springs but they only seem to offer Titanium retainers and I dont want those for a DD.

Unless SoS says otherwise, Im sure their springs and valves are all supertech.

What about Aluminum Magnesium retainers? http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...agnesium/11975
Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 PM

Always so informative

I was going to go with Ferrea Beehive springs but now the ti retainers have me concerned since I DD my car.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by RealStreet
This is a very, very lengthy discussion... We can talk valve train for hours. If you have specific questions I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks

Jay Meagher
Good stuff

I think the question of the hour is how to size the springs. As you have said sizing a variable rate and fixed rate sizing is a much different process, but what I asertained from your write up was that FI does not nessacarily require a higher seat pressure?

Additionally I would aggree and point our a fact you mentioned that the minimum amount of spring pressure is key, it reduces wear on the valve train. I personally like Beehive springs, in fact as you have mentioned they are often the best route. In the case of my Z06 not only did the factory use a beehive spring even with high lift cams a beehive was the way to go.

Keep'em coming!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good info here.

Anyone know what the difference is between the two supertech springs part numbers: SPR-H1021D and SPR-H1022D

It looks like one is bigger. Anyone with info on this, and would it matter which one to go with?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

the amount of time/research you put into your threads/resources is incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_REQ1PUM0rY

Cool video I used to show my students(when I was teaching) to help visualize what "valve float" really is.

Forgive me if the link is broken, I am firewalled here at work and pulled this from an older email I had, will make sure it's correct when I can actually see it, but it should be a video from the guys over at portflow.

Edit: Home from work...Link is correct.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kyushin
Im working on the same project, spend forever lastnight trying to find a dual spring that will work with AP2 retainers and havnt found anything yet. Also went looking into beehive springs but they only seem to offer Titanium retainers and I dont want those for a DD.

Unless SoS says otherwise, Im sure their springs and valves are all supertech.

What about Aluminum Magnesium retainers? http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...agnesium/11975
Bumping this. Did you ever figure out a dual spring to use with OEM AP2 retainers? I'm planning on boost within the next year and want to freshen up the valvetrain since I'm at about 90,000 miles. My car is far from daily driven but I do take it on long road trips every now and again and I'm really leaning away from titanium retainers... I'd hate to have to replace retainers that often. Seems that the Brian Crower springs with steel retainers may be a good option, but I'm looking for cost efficiency as well. Goal is 450-500 HP on E85, probably around 400 on pump. I know most people would say just use OEM everything for that goal, but if I'm doing it I would like the extra piece of mind. Anyone have any suggestions or input?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by illestrolla
the amount of time/research you put into your threads/resources is incredible.
To be fair, IRL he is a real engineer so he's automatically smarter than 99% of us

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Valve Springs - How to Choose?