S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Aftercooler pump won't prime

Old 08-22-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Aftercooler pump won't prime

A couple weeks back my topmost aftercooler hose punctured (it rubbed against the alternator pulley) and spewed all the water out. I replaced the hose and now am not seeing any fluid move in the aftercooler. I thought maybe I ran the pump dry and damaged it. So I replaced with a new pump - no difference same issue.

I verified there are no air leaks or blockage anywhere. Confirmed the aftercooler and heat exchanger both hold pressure by blowing in one end of the hose and capping the other end.

I also disconnected the pump from the system and ran two hoses directly from the pump to a bucket. Turned on the pump and nothing happened. I then sucked on the outlet hose and the pump started flowing. These centrifugal pumps require the inlet to be fed with fluid, so that explains why I had to suck on the outlet to get it going.

How the heck do I get the system to prime in the car??? I never had this issue, the numerous times I've taken apart my system.

BTW, I have the large heat exchanger and running the large Johnson (SPX) pump. I had planned a track day tomorrow - it aint happening now
Old 08-22-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible the polarity is incorrect and the pump is running backwards?
Old 08-22-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fixed the issue. Thank GOD.

Did a lot of hose squeezing on the suction side and it finally primed and got the flow going. Track day is on!
Old 08-24-2014, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
Fixed the issue. Thank GOD.

Did a lot of hose squeezing on the suction side and it finally primed and got the flow going. Track day is on!
I just went through this ordeal this morning while filling my aftercooler/heat exchanger for the first time. From what I figured, the best way to prime the pump is to pressurize the inlet side of the system. I rigged up a ghettofabulous pressurizing system using a bike pump, basketball needle, multiple vacuum hoses, and a rubber grommet that fit perfectly in the aftercooler filling port.

You can then pressurize the pump inlet side of the system by pumping the bike pump while squeezing the outlet hose until it's kinked, and the water pump should prime right up (though it may take 2-3 tries if your system is completely empty like mine was).

Note of caution: If the system is still pressurized before removing the hoses/bike needle, the aftercooler will spew coolant EVERYWHERE. I got myself, my engine bay, my neighbor's car, and my girlfriend's car all covered in coolant figuring this out. Be sure to bleed the pressure slowly.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 AM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

here is a quick tip. take a rubber tip air gun and with it sealed to the aftercooler fill hole give a short blast of air it will force the air out. just did this flows better than before.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just turned the pump on and loosed one of the hoses on the inlet/output (can't remember which one) and let it get some air and the pump primed right away. I did this right at the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk