S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

after cooler or no after cooler

Old 03-28-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after cooler or no after cooler

I know i'll probably get flamed by some of you guys and get told to use the search but i'm hoping someone will give me an answer... i'm looking at getting the comptech supercharger for my completely stock 02 s2k as my first mod. and i'm wondering whats the difference between having the after cooler or not having it... what does the after cooler do, is there an advantage to having it, is it recomended for any particular reason over not getting one??? also, do i need to get the fuel curve tuned after i get it installed to make sure its not running too lean for the SC or does the new fuel pump that comes with it take care of that. thanks in advance...
Old 03-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Former Moderator

The aftercooler lowers the temperture of the air that is compressed by the supercharger. Lowerign the ambient air tempertures can make more HP. however, with the comptech kit the adition of the aftercooler lowers the boost. So basically the addition of the aftercooler doesnt add HP until you get another pulley. Comptech and Vortech both come with piggyback ecus that tune your fuel curve.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 9kFever,Mar 28 2006, 06:24 PM
The aftercooler lowers the temperture of the air that is compressed by the supercharger. Lowerign the ambient air tempertures can make more HP. however, with the comptech kit the adition of the aftercooler lowers the boost. So basically the addition of the aftercooler doesnt add HP until you get another pulley. Comptech and Vortech both come with piggyback ecus that tune your fuel curve.
ok so heres another newbie question.. how does a piggyback ecu get installed??
Old 03-28-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Neither come with piggybacks. The Vortech has a timing control module that pulls some timing. Both have a deveice to hide boost from the stock ECU, and both use a rising rate fuel regulator to increase fuel pressure proportional to boost.

However, if you do install a piggyback it either intercets and modifies signals going to and from the ECU or just taps into them. The best way to install is to buy a harness that fits between the ECU and the plugs and has fly leads for your particular piggyback.

Common piggybacks are the VAFC and E-manage.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The AC on the CT SC does use some of the HP gain, but also adds HP. According to tests and also from dyno results posted by CT, the AC will net you 10-15 HP over a non-ACed SC.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9kFever,Mar 28 2006, 06:24 PM
Comptech and Vortech both come with piggyback ecus that tune your fuel curve.
Huh?.... why would you say that?... You even OWN a SC'r...

Aus is right....no "piggyback" ecu's to tune your fuel curve. Just the FPR. ESM are NOT a piggy back ECU.

AC do provide more HP even with the .5 boost drop.

If you are going to go with the supercharger and want to keep stock boost levels then with or without the AC is fine. The kit with the AC will run a little more hp do to the colder inlet temps.

The advantage of the AC is that if you want to go with higher than stock boost levels then you can do so safely with a fuel management system or a full ECU swap with AEM.

The kit can run safely without the AC at stock levels... but increasing the boost without the AC is at your own risk. I know a member who was running a 9lb pulley on a CT SC with EMS and was at the limit without the AC. Get an AC if you even THINK of increasing boost later on.

Additionally I think that the cosmetic appearance in the engine bay is much better WITH the AC then without but that's neither here or there.

JMO

Tim