S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

AEM series 2 or EMS4

Old 09-28-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AEM series 2 or EMS4

Hi,

After searching a lot on this and other forums, I have some trouble making up my mind about what engine management system to buy. The AEM series 2 or the AEM EMS4.

I have read a lot of good stories so far on the cheaper EMS4... it uses the same software as the series 2, and is designed to work with 4 cyilinder engines.
Downside is the mounting part. Does anyone have experience with connecting the EMS4 on his s2k? I would really like to know your experience on this EMS.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine...ent-system-58/

The series 2 is owned by pretty much every blown s2k owner on this forum I guess, and it's easy to mount... So it would be the better option, sure. But it's about 6 or 700$ more, witch could be a nice vacation

Any advice or experience is welcome!

Thank in advance.

Jasper
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man a vacation would be nice take me when you go Also I would just go with the series 2 just because you and everyone else knows it works Ive never meet anyone with the EMS4 on a s2k.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

PnP > Universal
Old 09-28-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jmays2k
Man a vacation would be nice take me when you go Also I would just go with the series 2 just because you and everyone else knows it works Ive never meet anyone with the EMS4 on a s2k.
Well I'm pretty sure that the EMS4 will work just fine too... once it's connected the right way, it runs on the same software and all. I don't think that's going to be the problem. I'm more worried about connecting the thing.
Don't you think for 700 bucks, that's worth the risk?

Thanks for your reply!
Old 09-28-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

EMS4 will work without issue; it's a universal EMS though. Is PNP worth $700 more to you?
Old 09-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

You will probably eat up that $700 savings in paying for a tech to wire this in, make any modifications in wiring to intercept all needed signals and set up base programming and work out any hiccups they encounter in the process. There is something to be said for a unit that is 100% pnp and comes with a base map to get you down the road. You can install the Series 2 and all a tuner has to do is get you on the dyno from there and start tuning it.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

^Bingo. Simplicity has its perks. If you do some searching, you can find a good deal. I had a line on two PnP AEM EMS2's for $900 when I was looking to purchase. I went with the brand new one from a friend of a friend on this board. I was fully prepared to pay full price if needed. I don't care to do any wiring in cars unless I have to. With the PnP, all I had to do is de-pin the O2 signal wire and pin in one from my WB02.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:09 AM

Ok! Some strong arguments here.
Seems the series 2 would be the better option indeed. Certainly with the base map allready installed. Is it safe to use for driving to the tuner?

I just heard that a friend of mine has ordered an EMS4 for his pulsar. I'm gonna check out and help with the wiring. If it's an easy job, that might convince me to buy it anyway.
If I do, I will make a DIY for the s2k.

For now, the series 2 seems to be the winner.
It will take some time for the EMS4 to arrive and install, but when the pulsar is done, I will let you know.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The ems4 requires the installer to wire in external resistors in the cam and crank signals to filter them, the series 2 has this done for you inside the box. There are a number of other features the ems 4 doesnt have. I'd stick with the series 2. It's more than worth the time saved.

I just wired one up on a GSXR1000 with a stroker motor and a ton of nitrous. It works great but if you dont have access to a high speed oscilloscope it can be next to impossible to get mag sensors to work correctly.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 AM

I have the philips pm3050 and a le croy at work. That's not the problem.

It does begin to sound more and more difficult/impossible to get the EMS4 working correctly... but it just seems weird to me. There are loads of car models that no series 2 are made for, so if you would like to install an EMS4 on such a model... why would AEM sell you a 700 dollar EMS that is pretty much impossible to install?

Think I'm gonna go for the series 2 though, but I'll keep you posted about the EMS4 on my friends pulsar gti-r. See how that works out.

Quick Reply: AEM series 2 or EMS4