S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

AEM EMS, What does it NOT do

Old 08-23-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdie,Aug 23 2005, 03:46 PM
i kinda want to find out why doesn't the stock water temp work.
There is no output to drive the LEDs. That is why. Modifry created a mod that will do this for the EMS users.

The reason why I want to know what it does not do? I want to understand what I will have to workaround to maintain the car in it's stock state. So far we have two things it does not do. I am sure there are a few others. I don't think anyone them will be a big deal, but I would rather be an informed buyer.

There is a bunch of stuff that the ECU controls in our cars. I just want to know what if anything it does not control.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the EMS for the last 5,000 miles and have had no problems.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:25 PM
PSC

Does the coded key still function (as a coded key) or do you lose this security feature ?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PSC,Aug 23 2005, 04:25 PM
Does the coded key still function (as a coded key) or do you lose this security feature ?
I don't think it does. Atleast I have never heard of anyone needing to program that feature.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ztec,Aug 23 2005, 12:47 PM
It does not tune itself

J/K Jeff
What do you mean just kidding

This is probaly the largest thing Stratocaster has not mentioned.

The AEM EMS does not have any safety features. Just like any high performance vehicle , it will do everything you ask it to and nothing you don't. That said, if you design your map to destroy your engine- the EMS will do what its told without any waring signs to tell you that you suck at tuning.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:56 PM
PSC

The Stock ECU theoretically (according to the workshop manual) has some checks and balances to verify that values are within accepted norms, otherwise "default" values are assumed, a form of run time self diagnosis/healing I suppose.

Does the AEM handle the EVAP (fuel tank vapour pressure and vapour recycling control) and the Pulsed air secondary injection (air pump for faster cat warmup), probably needed for CARB certification ?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff,Aug 23 2005, 03:41 PM
What do you mean just kidding

This is probaly the largest thing Stratocaster has not mentioned.

The AEM EMS does not have any safety features. Just like any high performance vehicle , it will do everything you ask it to and nothing you don't. That said, if you design your map to destroy your engine- the EMS will do what its told without any waring signs to tell you that you suck at tuning.
The EMS has a few safety features.
Knock control, boost cut control when boost goes over a certain PSI(just like a rev limiter).
So just like stock, if it see's knock, it will cut back timing.
I would trust the EMS over the stock when it comes to turbo s2000's.
UL made a good point on the ems, it can be tuned to run better than the stock and run just as clean if not cleaner than stock.

I think the main thing the ems cant do is control OBD2 functions.

Also Stratocaster mentioned what it cant control compared to stock.
Whatever the stock controls, the ems does as well. It's just user defined.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The AEM EMS does have an O2 feedback mode in which it will adjust tuning to target a specified A/F ratio. I have also heard you can tune it using a self learn wizard but have not tried this myself.

It can also light the CEL but you specify the parameters at which it lights. People used this for the overheat warning before Modifry developed the ECT driver.

And I expect you could program it to drive the emissions devices but no one has bothered to investigate it. It has a number of spare inputs and outputs that could be used for all sorts of things if you put your mind to it.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:56 PM

I almost forgot, there's one more thing an EMS will never do...

Cuddle afterwards
Old 08-23-2005, 05:40 PM

EMS won't let you pass emissions in the US (at least in IL.) Even if the air is clean, if ODB-II doesn't work, they send you home.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS, What does it NOT do