S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

AEM EMS - Take the plunge?

Old 05-25-2007, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS - Take the plunge?

Hi everyone. Since many of the S2000's in this forum are running AEM ems, I thought I'd pick your mind with a few questions before making the jump to a full standalone myself. To give you some background, I'm currently running an aftercooled comptech sc with stock boost, aftermarket decatted single exhaust and emanage blue with 550cc injectors. I'm happy with the power of the car but wouldn't rule out a smaller pulley in the future. The emanage does it's job but it's not perfect - I'd like to have smoother partial throttle and transitions between acceleration and deceleration and not have stay tweaking it when the weather gets hot/cold.

Of course I realise that a lot depends on the tune and the capability of the tuner, but keeping this in mind how (honestly) happy are you with with your ems?

I've searched the faqs and a few threads and I've come across a few issues others have had -

- temp guage won't work , but can be fixed with Modifry's driver.
- Hot start problems
- Cold start problems
- partial throttle/transitions

But I'm interested to hear your experiences with the daily driveabilty and reliability of your car and how long it took to get the car running 'right' without any teething issues. I'm worried that if I make this jump I'll end up with a car I can't drive daily or use for long trips, for fear of something going wrong.

Basically I'm looking for something that I can plug in, get tuned, and not have to worry about.

Thanks for your input
Old 05-25-2007, 03:10 AM

AEM ems works awesome for daily driver I havent any issue people talked about, only on occasion ideling problem it cuts off but rarely happened. By the I am using stock battery not those tiny little one.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another issue for the AEM is that it takes more crank spins to start the car. At the begining is a strange feeling like the car does not have battery, but you will get used
Old 05-25-2007, 06:30 AM

It works great, but its all in the tune.

My car drives like it has a stock ECU. I'm AP2 as well (meaning we have a better temp gauge) and the Modifry ECT mod works well.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geists2k,May 25 2007, 06:30 AM
It works great, but its all in the tune.

The inoperative temp gauge is my only complaint, but like others said you can wire in Modifry's fix or hook up a sender and gauge. With the EMS you can have your radiator and condenser fan come on at any temp. Or you could have your motor simply shut off if it gets too hot. There is a ton of adjustability with EMS
Old 05-25-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have modifry's temp gauge fix. That fixed my biggest complaint. Otherwise, it starts on the first try (although it may take 2 extra seconds of cranking compared with stock) hot or cold. I have started it in 0 degree F weather after cold soaking it. Part throttle with a cell by cell boost comp map is great if you're not using the throttle mod. With the throttle mod, part throttle was always a bit iffy. It's not a problem if you tune around it. The throttle modifier that a lot of people use with the AEM EMS is a shortcut that doesn't seem to work well on the F20C and F22C1. I routinely cruise around town at 2000 rpm or less in 5th or 6th gear.

Tim
Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 AM

it really is all in the tune. if u can get someone to tune the emanage it will work just as well
Old 05-25-2007, 09:13 AM

I think the AEM EMS is great.

The only complaint is it requiring a little more battery to crank over.

The ems has a temp alarm with the car as it is. If it starts to over heat, all the temp bars will light up. I think thats good enough as it is. If you want something more real time, a external temp gauge will work great, but as the unit sits for the money, I think the EMS is great!
Old 05-26-2007, 12:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I can live with an added 'two seconds of cranking'. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Timg - Could you expand on the throttle modifier vs Boost comp Mod? I take it they're two ways to tune for partial throttle, but what is the difference? Thanks

Another question (please bear with me guys) -

Currently with the emanage I'm frequently shooting flames out of the exhaust on the overrun/ decelerating (the emanage doesn't really have any settings for these conditions that I know of). It was fine at first but now it's beginning to bother me a bit (let's face it, launching a fireball at someone behind you everytime you shift tends to get you noticed ). Would I be able to get this feature 'tuned out' with the ems?

Also:

Here in Malta we're not exactly overflowing with tuners (total population 340,000). What's more, we're an sialnd, so shipping the car to another country to get it tuned would be a royal PITA. We do have a couple of very good tuners though, however they're more familiar with DTA, Autronic and Power FC ecus. How tuner-friendly, so to speak, is the AEM interface compared to these other ecus?

Again, thanks for the feedback and keep them coming!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by s0rted,May 26 2007, 08:47 AM

1.Timg - Could you expand on the throttle modifier vs Boost comp Mod? I take it they're two ways to tune for partial throttle, but what is the difference? Thanks

2.Currently with the emanage I'm frequently shooting flames out of the exhaust

1. iam interested in this too

2.thats cool man

Quick Reply: AEM EMS - Take the plunge?