S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

AEM EMS problem

Old 08-02-2009, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS problem

I can't post the timing maps of my tune on here because my stupid AEM won't connect to my laptop.

The fuel pump won't prime unless the AEM serial gauge serial connector is plugged into the AEM. With the serial gauge serial cable plugged into the AEM, the fuel pump primes no problem. As soon as I swap it for the laptop serial connector the fuel pump won't prime, and it says ECU offline on the lap top. I swapped back and forth about 15 times and every time it's the same thing.
So I'm guessing the AEM ECU is messed up?

IDK if this matters but my motor is out of the car, so obviously on that end of the harness nothing is connected. But I should still be able to connect to the AEM to download the maps, correct?

And it is NOT the usb to serial adapter, or lack of drivers on the laptor, because I used the same combination last week and it connected to the AEM just fine.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing I have noticed since installing the AEM Serial Gauge (and hence turning on Telemetry) is that there are problems connecting with a laptop. The solution seems to be to click "Connect" immediately after turning on the ignition.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:01 PM

I did. And it says querying ECU.......and it never connects, in the bottom of the screen it blinks ECU OFFLINE
Old 08-02-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i always click connect first , then turn on the ignition. connects every time. u using serial connector or usb?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 PM

That's not the only problem. Like I said, the fuel pump will not prime without the serial cable from the gauges plugged in. That shouldn't be. The ECU should run the car without the gauges plugged in, correct?

But yes I'm using a usb to serial adapter cable.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You're quite right, the AEM doesn't need a serial gauge connected to fire up the fuel pump.

But let's look at this logically. If you turn on the ignition, the AEM sees telemetry is on and connects to the gauge and then primes the fuel pump. If you disconnect the gauge perhaps it is trying to connect to it and in a loop.

So try the trick of connecting the laptop, clicking connect and then turning on the ignition.

Other than that, can't help ya.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:51 AM

I tried it both ways multiple times and it didn't work.

It worked fine when we were tuning it, for a minute we had the connecting problem once or twice, but then it worked fine. Then my motor blew so I pulled the motor.

Could the fuel pump not priming have anything to do with all the engine sensors being disconnected?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:02 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you have to cycle the power when switching from laptop to serial guage.

when the ems is first powered up it polls the serial port to see whats hooked up. the serial guage requires a different output than when its connected to the laptop.

Make sure to give the ems enough time to fully shut down before turning the key back on. thats usually a short time in hondas, cars like evo's and supras keep the ecu on for a good while after the key is off to park the idle motor, etc.

if you are using a usb-serial adapter upgrade to windows 7, W7 handles usb-serial devices MUCH better than xp, hell Vista is better than xp in that regard.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:18 AM

I am running vista on the laptop. I did try it with the laptop plugged in before I powered the EMS. The fuel pump never primes. Then if I unplug the laptop serial cable and plug in the gauge serial cable, boom the fuel pump primes right away.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the only thing i have seen do something like that is if the comms resistor is fried.. i have seen a few usb-serial adapters do that. if it ever connects its not the comms resistor.

the resistor is on the daughter board and is very easy to tell if its cooked and fix.

I'm not sure if the serial guage works if that resistor is cooked.

also, its a good idea to reflash the firmware and re-upload the cal when you have communication issues. If something becomes garbled in the data stream to or from the laptop who knows what could be where

Quick Reply: AEM EMS problem