S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

AEM EMS ?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS ?

Well I have a couple of questions that hopefully some of you AEM EMS experts can get straight for me.

1. When my car is started at idle in hangs around 14.6 for about 3seconds and then slowly creeps down to 11.4-10.80ish <---- I say 10.80ish because my AEM Uego gauge only reads to 11.00. It does this a first start up and also when I am sitting at a stop w/ the A/C on.

2. When I had my car Dynoed I didn't wire the Uego Gauge to my EMS??? How does the car know what the A/F is at or does it not need to know In other words the Uego is connected to my exhaust and gives a reading to the gauge but not to the EMS because the "White" wire that comes from the gauge is just hanging behind the dash.

I am assuming since there is no reading from the Uego gauge that the car was tuned using the TPS sensor and MAP sensor to help the EMS determine Fuel and Timing. Or is it tuned with throttle %??

Sorry for the long post I am just trying to better understand how the AEM EMS works with out recieving a A/F reading

Thank you in Advance
Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 AM

During first start up the wideband will be wrong because it's not hot enough to work right. With the A/C on there are seperate maps for A/C but I'm not sure if the new ones offer any enrichment for A/C other than just idle rpm control.

The AEM EMS uses either a 2D or 3D map based on RPM and MAP usually or RPM, MAP, TPS. The wideband is only used for referrence of the air fuel ratio for the tuner to see if he's got the fuel right but yours probably only used the knock sensor.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by kane.s2k,Aug 1 2006, 10:19 AM
During first start up the wideband will be wrong because it's not hot enough to work right. With the A/C on there are seperate maps for A/C but I'm not sure if the new ones offer any enrichment for A/C other than just idle rpm control.

The AEM EMS uses either a 2D or 3D map based on RPM and MAP usually or RPM, MAP, TPS. The wideband is only used for referrence of the air fuel ratio for the tuner to see if he's got the fuel right but yours probably only used the knock sensor.
According to the gauge... If I am sitting at a stoplight the gauge usually reads around 13.6 as soon as I press the A/C button it drops to 11.2-11.5. I wonder if this is dropping because of load or if the tuner setup a different MAP for A/C on?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:36 AM

no, it's probably just from the sudden load from the compressor clutch. The A/F probably leans up soon after correct?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by kane.s2k,Aug 1 2006, 01:19 PM

There isn't another map for AC, there is a load % increase value that can be adjusted, but this just adds load meaning it brings you up a cell or two, but if the cell is tuned rich you are going to be rich.

The is closed loop O2 on the EMS, but if the UEGO isn't hooked up it won't work.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpion,Aug 1 2006, 11:41 AM
There isn't another map for AC, there is a load % increase value that can be adjusted, but this just adds load meaning it brings you up a cell or two, but if the cell is tuned rich you are going to be rich.
There we go, that's what it was.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by kane.s2k,Aug 1 2006, 10:36 AM
no, it's probably just from the sudden load from the compressor clutch. The A/F probably leans up soon after correct?
No the A/F stays there it does not lean out until I leave the stop light. When cruising its fine it only when I am at a stop light with the a/c on.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpion,Aug 1 2006, 10:41 AM

The is closed loop O2 on the EMS, but if the UEGO isn't hooked up it won't work.
So should I have wired the Uego to the EMS for a better tune??
Old 08-01-2006, 02:50 PM

That's not really ythe way it works. The problem is the base tune. Even if you hook the UEGO up it only corrects fuel a certain percentage. If your AF values are off that far than it won't companste for it. If you are in the 11's at idle you are rich by almost 30%.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:20 AM

Little of topic but, If you want to get an accurate start AF reading on your gauge, turn the key to power and give the uego about 30 seconds. It's heated then go ahead and start the car. As soon as the AF's pop up they will be accurate.

When you go to wire the uego to the ecu, it's simple and worth it. You will need to change a few settings in AEM to get it to use the UEGO. It's definetly the proper way to set it up. Hooking it up w/o changing the settings won't hurt anything either, nor will it help.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS ?