S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

ACT pressure plate + OEM disc epic fail. Solved.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACT pressure plate + OEM disc epic fail. Solved.

I recently gathered together parts for the ACT HD pressure plate and OEM friction disc clutch setup. Unfortunately the install has not gone well, long story short, the workshop says the combination of parts simply doesn't work together. I don't know what do to, any ideas welcome.

Email from workshop:
We believe there is an issue between Honda disc , ATC cover and flywheel.
It hasn’t got the correct clearance for it to operate.
We have tested by manually without the hydraulic system ( clutch pedal , slave and master )
We didn’t install them incorrectly.
The step on the new flywheel is 1mm less than original flywheel, but the clutch disc is 3.5mm thicker.
We assume the pressure plate hasn’t got enough space to travel

Parts I gave them for install:
ACT HD pressure plate
ACT prolite flywheel
ACT release bearing
ACT alignment tool
OEM friction disc
OEM pilot bearing

================================================== =================================================
Problem resolved, see post https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/104...t__p__22872683
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Take it to another shop. Cuz they do not know what they are saying and doing.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:00 AM

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Confirm correct part numbers with ACT and if correct follow riceball's advice. Their are WAY to many shops that claim to know what they are doing when they don't. Damn near every repair I've had on the S, I've had to go back and fix-had one shop fail to torque a brake caliper and they SWORE it was properly tightened! Turns out after they retorqued it, they stripped the threads. They were a VERY reputable shop that knew what they were doing. Folks will tell you whatever to get your hard earned money.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 PM

Can someone tell me if the ACT H021 heavy duty pressure plate is designed to be used with a OEM friction disc, or does it just happen to work by chance? I'm trying to understand why the clearances would be so tight.

Is the OEM disc thicker than the ACT discs and this causes greater holding capacity?

If I were to instruct them to machine the flywheel to add clearance, would that reduce the holding capacity due to less tension in the pressure plate?
Old 09-23-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by joefish1298
Can someone tell me if the ACT H021 heavy duty pressure plate is designed to be used with a OEM friction disc, or does it just happen to work by chance? I'm trying to understand why the clearances would be so tight.

Is the OEM disc thicker than the ACT discs and this causes greater holding capacity?

If I were to instruct them to machine the flywheel to add clearance, would that reduce the holding capacity due to less tension in the pressure plate?

I just measured a new act (HDSS kit) friction disc (part no. 3000106) and the thickness is around .31"-.32".

I also measured a used oem disc (with plenty of rivet to disc height) and it measured to around .315"-.322".

The only thing you have different is the flywheel. My stock flywheels had about a .067" step. The machinist that turned the flywheel turned it to about .060" and I have not had any issue.

If your flywheel step is a similar size, there shouldn't be any reason your setup won't work. It sounds like installation error if this is the case. See if they can give you the step measurement.
The following users liked this post:
Chibo (04-02-2018)
Old 09-23-2013, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the help, I'm going to take the OEM pressure plate, OEM flywheel and OEM used disc down to the workshop today so they can compare. The car had an Exedy hyper carbon clutch installed when I took it in.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen
I just measured a new act (HDSS kit) friction disc (part no. 3000106) and the thickness is around .31"-.32".

I also measured a used oem disc (with plenty of rivet to disc height) and it measured to around .315"-.322".

The only thing you have different is the flywheel. My stock flywheels had about a .067" step. The machinist that turned the flywheel turned it to about .060" and I have not had any issue.

If your flywheel step is a similar size, there shouldn't be any reason your setup won't work. It sounds like installation error if this is the case. See if they can give you the step measurement.
The step on the ACT flywheel and the OEM flywheel was the same.

However, the OEM disc I gave them measures 0.342", a bit bigger than the ACT. Enough to prevent the clutch releasing, I don't know?

It seems MisMyS already had this problem https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/955...ont-disengage/
Old 09-24-2013, 05:50 PM

If you read to the end of the thread youll find it was user error that caused that problem. Thousands are running that set up and prefer it to any other aftermarket clutch.

take your car to someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by benes2k
If you read to the end of the thread youll find it was user error that caused that problem. Thousands are running that set up and prefer it to any other aftermarket clutch.

I am aware that people have used this setup successfully, I doubt it is in the thousands.

It could be workshop error, but it could also be a faulty pressure plate or faulty (out of spec) OEM disc

I have read the entire thread that I linked and I disagree that it was entirely user error. There are tolerances involved with the pressure plate and friction disc and my OEM disc is WITHOUT DOUBT bigger than the ACT disc that the pressure plate is designed for. When you fully activate the pressure plate, there is only so much space created between the flywheel and pressure plate, and if your disc is too big for the available space created the clutch will obviously never release regardless of how you adjust your pedal.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by joefish1298
Originally Posted by benes2k' timestamp='1380073806' post='22795049

I am aware that people have used this setup successfully, I doubt it is in the thousands.

It could be workshop error, but it could also be a faulty pressure plate or faulty (out of spec) OEM disc

I have read the entire thread that I linked and I disagree that it was entirely user error. There are tolerances involved with the pressure plate and friction disc and my OEM disc is WITHOUT DOUBT bigger than the ACT disc that the pressure plate is designed for. When you fully activate the pressure plate, there is only so much space created between the flywheel and pressure plate, and if your disc is too big for the available space created the clutch will obviously never release regardless of how you adjust your pedal.
Your the first guy ive heard of running into this potential clearance issue using the OEM friction disc with the ACT street PP. There are several variables I can think of that may be the issue here, the first one being the installer, the other is pedal adjustment needs to be changed from your last clutch configuration. If its dragging, then the pedal height needs to be raised so that you get more throw out of the master when its pushed down, and of course free play needs to be added again. The other may be your not using the Act street PP and which ever one your using is more specific to the ACT disc it mates to.

Quick Reply: ACT pressure plate + OEM disc epic fail. Solved.