S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

ACT PP, thrust washer failure

Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down ACT PP, thrust washer failure

Hello guys
I Just got a new engine from laskey raceing last month for $4000. Just broke it in and something bizarre happened. When the car got hot, it will stall easy and would not start back!!! I checked everything from all new sensors to sending my AEM ecu back to aem. Finaly looked at my crank pully and pushed in the clutch, and I had play on the pully…..
Picked down the engine and the first thing I saw was the thrust washer was in the pan. Not good. The crank is ****ed and the block is eaten away.
I did not even get to tune the engine or get on boost. Now that I saved up for two years and I don’t have anything.
I am sooo mad and pissed off that I just want to get rid of car.
I see that many people out there have the same problem. What did you do, did you go back to ACT?
Does any one have a 2.2 crank and block? I need

here is the pic of the thrust washer. look closer, this is the side that is ment to face the crank. but the thin scarring scrach marks came from the block, they where put in the worng way........

scarring of the block

where the washer hit the piston when they fell out
Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does Laskey have to say?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:15 AM

WOW this sucks...

Talk to Mike and see what he has to say about it. This is why I didn't go ACT and went with the HORRIBLE competition clutch stage 4 that I dislike oh so much... LOL
Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 AM

I thought ACT solved that issue on the revised PP?

https://www.s2ki.com/search/forums?query=ACTman
Old 06-17-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first, this sucks hard core. i mean seriously sucks.

which act PP where you running? which act clutch?

i dont want to jump on the act crank walk bandwagon, but they have had this issue in the past. i would contact laskey first, and tell them what happened, do not put blame on the PP just yet. maybe the motor assembly had an issue and this is the result. if you assume its the PP, i doubt act will do anything for you.

but if laskey feels somehting failed prematurely in the motor, then you might get some help.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for your loss. I have successfully been running the ACT HD PP for 15K miles (12K+ miles boosted) on my un-cracked stock block. My clutch safety switch is jumped and my blower is self lubed.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:20 AM

The ACT pressure plates really don't put that much more stress on the motor thrust bearing than other single plate clutches. If it happend shortly after the motor was installed I have a feeling that something else happened. I don't see a thrust bearing wearing that fast unless it had some sort of major oiling issue.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRBOKEV,Jun 17 2010, 10:15 AM
WOW this sucks...

Talk to Mike and see what he has to say about it. This is why I didn't go ACT and went with the HORRIBLE competition clutch stage 4 that I dislike oh so much... LOL
what don't you like about the CC stage 4?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Thrust_b..._failures.html
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by TRBOKEV,Jun 17 2010, 12:15 PM
WOW this sucks...

You may want to take you clutch somewhere and see if you can get it adjusted. Mine was not so hot, Toan at Ptuning adjusted it and its better now but not perfect just better. Mine has a bit of a dead spot up top.

Dude, sorry about your car. It seems like your engine failed real quick. I would go back to the builder. And just change the clutch out.

Quick Reply: ACT PP, thrust washer failure