S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

3 Laptops will not connect with AEM EMSv2

Old 07-25-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 Laptops will not connect with AEM EMSv2

Long story short, I'm supercharging my 02 s2000. After the insane install, I thought the AEM EMS part was going to be the easiest. 13hrs into it and I still cant figure it out. Here's what I know...

*Laptop does not have a window pop up when I connect the USB cord from AEM to laptop with ignition on "ON".
*Checked all fuses, they are ok.
*Checked all ground wires, they are ok.
*Used 4 different type of cords(2 USB/2 Serial)
*Used 3 different laptop and still could not detect a connection.
*Used 2 different AEM EMS and still could not detect a connection(buddy with a turbo AP1 S2000 came by to help)
*Tried grounding the AEM EMS as well, no luck.

*Went to online to download the AEMTuner software. Opened it up and tried to connect to the AEM under the default setting Serial comm 3&4, it would not. Changed the preference to USB from Serial, no luck.
*Look at the Device Mangager on 3 different laptop, nothing was found as a device connected to the laptops.

Checked with a volt meter to make sure the AEM is getting power, it's a fail. So I checked the car harness to make sure it's sending out power, it's a fail. YET, the car starts with both AEM EMS and stock ECU connected. I just can't get the laptop to connect to the AEM so that I can upload a base map.

I think I'm f@#king going crazy.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:24 PM

Use windows 7?
Old 07-25-2015, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by indi00
Use windows 7?
Yes sir. But 1 of the laptop was win8
Old 07-25-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[quote name='General Kratos' timestamp='1437856762' post='2369276]
Checked with a volt meter to make sure the AEM is getting power, it's a fail. So I checked the car harness to make sure it's sending out power, it's a fail. YET, the car starts with both AEM EMS and stock ECU connected.
[/quote]

You already found the problem. Just got to track down the cause. Most likely a short in the jumper harness or something you hooked up in the wrong place.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by spectacle
[quote name='General Kratos' timestamp='1437856762' post='2369276]
Checked with a volt meter to make sure the AEM is getting power, it's a fail. So I checked the car harness to make sure it's sending out power, it's a fail. YET, the car starts with both AEM EMS and stock ECU connected.
You already found the problem. Just got to track down the cause. Most likely a short in the jumper harness or something you hooked up in the wrong place.
[/quote]

Like what though? What could I hook up that was wrong? The only wiring a kraftwerks supercharger required is a fuel pump. Everything else is bolts, belts and plug and play. The AEM is straight forward harness from stock ECU to AEM EMS.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:30 PM

So as strange as it may be, I connected the serial to USB cord the the AEM and laptop. I finally get a connection it seems. I don't even know what I did differently...

So the laptop recognize that there's something plugged into it. The driver is successfully downloaded. I'm assuming I'm good to go, so I head over to AEMTuner/ECU connection preference/serial port/comm5/connect to ECU....and I get this screen. But it doesn't connect at all after a few minutes. It should connect within seconds right?

Old 07-25-2015, 04:59 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

The lap top will not read the aem if you just plug it in for the first time. You have to find the file name or something. I forgot what exactly i did.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by umair
The lap top will not read the aem if you just plug it in for the first time. You have to find the file name or something. I forgot what exactly i did.
According to AEM it should read that something is plugged into the laptop. That's where you'll have to download the driver onto the laptop so that it can read it. But even after I went online and downloaded the AEMTuner software, it still wont read it. When you remember what you did, let me know.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What happens when you use either laptop to try to connect to your friend's EMS while it is installed in his car? I assume it has worked OK for him before this?

The main ECU ground is in the kick panel very close to the ecu itself. There are numerous ground wires all going to the same point there. I would inspect that to ensure the bolt is good & tight, and no wires seem loose or damaged.

Measure voltage on the ECU harness with the ignition on, and preferably with the harness plugged into the EMS. Measure voltage from pin B1 to B2, B9 to B10, B1 to a known good chassis ground, and B9 to a known good chassis ground. All should be 12v.

Then, measure resistance between B2 & known good chassis ground, and B9 & known good chassis ground. If those are more than 1-2 ohm, there is a probably a grounding issue with the harness.

You may also want to try and wiggle the harness around while measuring above, to ensure there isn't any intermittent connections.

Have you jammed the test probes in the front of the connector at all (the side the plugs into the EMS)? This can bend the pins causing a poor connection, which may cause strange problems like this. You always want to back-probe these connectors, meaning you go in along side the wire. You may need to buy thinner probe tips to do so.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:42 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Does your buddy have access to the laptop he used on his ems? I just recently had connection issues as well with the v2. Needed to use an older laptop

Quick Reply: 3 Laptops will not connect with AEM EMSv2