S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Link ECU G4x S2000x plug n play review?

Old 11-08-2023, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Link ECU G4x S2000x plug n play review?

Hey guys I used to have AEM EMS V2 on my NA 05 only had it for few weeks with so many no-start issues.

Got rid of the AEM because the company is dead with 0 support for customers.

I have since been looking at other EMS for S2000 since I most likely will be going turbo in the near future.

Anyone with AP1 or 04-05 have experience or used Link's "new" S2000 G4x plug n play?
my setup is still NA with test pipe. on the AEM I had lowered Vtec to 4800 rpm and raised redline to 8600.

Any advice is appreciated thank you.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also like some info on this. I was debating between Link, Haltech, AEM, and maybe K-Pro, but after OP’s input about AEM, looks like that one’s out of the picture.

Last edited by Infinitykid1; 11-09-2023 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2023, 07:18 AM

Received 315 Likes on 167 Posts

I can not recommend the LINK ECU enough. It's fantastic.

What specific information are you looking for? Go read through some of the later sections of my build thread. I have everything documented on how I used it, what sensors I added, ect.
The following users liked this post:
Kyle (11-12-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 04:17 AM

Received 630 Likes on 430 Posts

Link has quickly become the new go-to plugin ECU for this platform. The boosted guys absolutely adore it in the group I'm in.

AEM is absolutely dead - Holley bought them I believe and axed the ECUs. I've got nothing bad to say about Haltech; another solid choice.

KPro is ancient and sorely lacking in features...

Link is the way; buy with confidence.

Edit: I actually sold my Infinity for the reasons listed above regarding AEM...No point in really going forward with an ECU that's no longer supported and has had some notoriety for having issues. I'll be going with a Link G4X FuryX myself. The plugin is the way, but since I'm building a new engine harness I don't need to worry about needing something to plug into stock connectors.

Last edited by Kyle; 11-13-2023 at 06:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Feezy (11-13-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 05:41 AM

Received 1,174 Likes on 1,026 Posts

No experience with those ECUs but I can testify my 2006 (DBW) FlashPro tuned car has been running since 2015 with VTEC engaging at 3,600rpm and the rev limiter cutting out at 8,400rpm with no issues whatsoever. Most importantly the 3,600rpm VTEC prevents the the engine from falling off the high power cams during WOT acceleration gear changes like your 4,800 setting does. Dyno data indicates my power curve starts heading down at 8,200 so going beyond that point doesn't make too much sense to me and I think 8,400 is as far as I want to push the stroked 2.2 liter AP2 engine based on reliability.

Try a fairly robust tune like mine before going all in. Get your VTEC lowered in the 3,500rpm range. With the proposed ECU it just takes a little time and no further expense (you already have a cat-delete). This tune has been so much fun I decided to just keep the $10,000 cost for a professional forced induction installation in the bank. Revs so fast in the lower gears I installed a rev line alarm 'cuz I only have the ability to watch the road at that acceleration not the tach. Shift when the bells ring.

But most importantly have fun and drive fast!

-- Chuck
Old 11-12-2023, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
No experience with those ECUs but... -- Chuck
This sums up pretty much every single one of your posts.
The following 4 users liked this post by Feezy:
.Boston. (02-06-2024), kos (02-06-2024), Kyle (11-13-2023), phantomazero (03-09-2024)
Old 11-13-2023, 09:35 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Feezy
This sums up pretty much every single one of your posts.
Originally Posted by ap2urwa
Hey guys I used to have AEM EMS V2 on my NA 05 only had it for few weeks with so many no-start issues.

Got rid of the AEM because the company is dead with 0 support for customers.

I have since been looking at other EMS for S2000 since I most likely will be going turbo in the near future.

Anyone with AP1 or 04-05 have experience or used Link's "new" S2000 G4x plug n play?
my setup is still NA with test pipe. on the AEM I had lowered Vtec to 4800 rpm and raised redline to 8600.

Any advice is appreciated thank you.
For what its worth,

I usually keep tabs on what SOS is offering - they do a good job of keeping the platform alive and offering new tech for a relatively older car. Most recently - they have dropped infinity support / no longer offer AEM ECUs for their tuning solutions possibly due to the reasons mentioned above by others. Surprise, surprise - LINK's G4X ECU is now being offered by SOS 2000-2005 S2000s. As a option that drops right into the factory ECU case and does not need a cumbersome harness - it is a hard to beat option.

I was looking at the LINK as my best / cost efficient option vs. the Haltech Nexus R3 which is around 2300$ (because of how badass the ECU is out of the box - but I need to get a harness made for it ~ +700$ by boomslang) for my supercharged AP1. Some factors for my decision were 1) Cost, 2) Plug and play and 3) Safety features. I'm still researching each system and how friendly each interface is.

I think with tuning systems - you need to ask yourself:
a) how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go,
b) what features do you need / would like
c) your budget and
d) what your tuner has experience / comfort with.

For the money, the LINK is rather high tech and a has a ton of features / engine protection strategies. For a FI car - I can see this system aging well and LINK is very proactive with its customer base for troubleshooting etc. The Nexus is a really awesome system and if I have the budget I would rather go that way lol.

https://dealers.linkecu.com/S2000

https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-193000-nexus-r3-vcu/

https://www.boomslang.com/haltech-nexus.php

Last edited by R00567; 11-13-2023 at 09:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by R00567:
Feezy (11-13-2023), travanx (12-05-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by R00567
For what its worth,

I usually keep tabs on what SOS is offering - they do a good job of keeping the platform alive and offering new tech for a relatively older car. Most recently - they have dropped infinity support / no longer offer AEM ECUs for their tuning solutions possibly due to the reasons mentioned above by others. Surprise, surprise - LINK's G4X ECU is now being offered by SOS 2000-2005 S2000s. As a option that drops right into the factory ECU case and does not need a cumbersome harness - it is a hard to beat option.

I was looking at the LINK as my best / cost efficient option vs. the Haltech Nexus R3 which is around 2300$ (because of how badass the ECU is out of the box - but I need to get a harness made for it ~ +700$ by boomslang) for my supercharged AP1. Some factors for my decision were 1) Cost, 2) Plug and play and 3) Safety features. I'm still researching each system and how friendly each interface is.

I think with tuning systems - you need to ask yourself:
a) how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go,
b) what features do you need / would like
c) your budget and
d) what your tuner has experience / comfort with.

For the money, the LINK is rather high tech and a has a ton of features / engine protection strategies. For a FI car - I can see this system aging well and LINK is very proactive with its customer base for troubleshooting etc. The Nexus is a really awesome system and if I have the budget I would rather go that way lol.

https://dealers.linkecu.com/S2000

https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-193000-nexus-r3-vcu/

https://www.boomslang.com/haltech-nexus.php
I love SOS for that reason exactly. They also have amazing customer service.

I have no budget, my local tuner has experience with most ECUs, and I want as many features as possible. I will most likely be staying NA with the most I’d do to the car being ITBs and a built head. I’m also a lazy POS so the Link sounds perfect for me.

Just a couple of questions first: What features am I LOSING with the Link? A few that I know of are cruise control, the immobilizer, and the o2 pump. And what does the Nexus offer that the Link or other ECUs don’t?
Old 11-16-2023, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
No experience with those ECUs but I can testify my 2006 (DBW) FlashPro tuned car has been running since 2015 with VTEC engaging at 3,600rpm and the rev limiter cutting out at 8,400rpm with no issues whatsoever. Most importantly the 3,600rpm VTEC prevents the the engine from falling off the high power cams during WOT acceleration gear changes like your 4,800 setting does. Dyno data indicates my power curve starts heading down at 8,200 so going beyond that point doesn't make too much sense to me and I think 8,400 is as far as I want to push the stroked 2.2 liter AP2 engine based on reliability.

Try a fairly robust tune like mine before going all in. Get your VTEC lowered in the 3,500rpm range. With the proposed ECU it just takes a little time and no further expense (you already have a cat-delete). This tune has been so much fun I decided to just keep the $10,000 cost for a professional forced induction installation in the bank. Revs so fast in the lower gears I installed a rev line alarm 'cuz I only have the ability to watch the road at that acceleration not the tach. Shift when the bells ring.

But most importantly have fun and drive fast!

-- Chuck
Hey Chuck!

I was thinking of lowering my redline, but not THAT low. I don’t normally start up my car and wait for it to hit operating temp before driving it and we all know that just to get up to speed in these torqueless machines, you’re pushing 4-5k rpm. Won’t hitting VTEC before operating temp reduce the life of the engine?

Anyway, at least for my application I don’t think it’ll be necessary since I’ll be going ITBs, built head, shorter gears, lightweight flywheel, etc. I basically want to turn it into a Hayabusa on 4 wheels. The lowest that I’d have VTEC with that setup is 5k.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Infinitykid1
Hey Chuck!

I was thinking of lowering my redline, but not THAT low. I don’t normally start up my car and wait for it to hit operating temp before driving it and we all know that just to get up to speed in these torqueless machines, you’re pushing 4-5k rpm. Won’t hitting VTEC before operating temp reduce the life of the engine?

Anyway, at least for my application I don’t think it’ll be necessary since I’ll be going ITBs, built head, shorter gears, lightweight flywheel, etc. I basically want to turn it into a Hayabusa on 4 wheels. The lowest that I’d have VTEC with that setup is 5k.
Your tuner is going to set the Vtec crossover to whatever makes sense for your engine. It's not just an RPM threshold, it's also based off of throttle percent and other factors.

If you're specifically asking about the LINK with ITBs I'm going to again encourage you to read through my build thread. I've documented how I set up everything including the additional sensors I've added. I also have some components to allow you to run EV14 injectors with your OEM harness that I'm going to put up for sale. I bought this stuff for my set up but then decided to have an entire new harness made for the project.

Quick Reply: Link ECU G4x S2000x plug n play review?