S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Customizing the DBW Throttle mapping

Old 05-25-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SlowTeg, would you care to share your new throttle table settings? I'm curious to try and see if I notice a difference
Old 05-27-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
SlowTeg, would you care to share your new throttle table settings? I'm curious to try and see if I notice a difference
I'm not on my laptop or I'd grab a screenshot. Nothing special.. the speed/throttle table I just set to the throttle lookup value. So 62% = 62% for the whole column for example. The larger throttle table I just scaled things like I did on the old throttle table. I multiplied the first several columns by something like .7, then the next several by ~.8. This is to desensitize the throttle a little especially at lower speeds.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:15 AM

Ok cool. I'm on vacation next week so I have some time to tinker with it.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:52 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Even running a bigger turbo has its benefits, you just don't recognize them.. I'm sure having a throttle plate in the flashpro that says 80% and actually translates to 80% will make life a lot easier for Tut tuning his car, especially since he's very likely limiting his HP on the top end via closing the throttle plate (TT classes have power/weight limits). Good to know about the Subarus, but it's not really relevant because the honda ecu to my knowledge switches to open loop in boost..
I would like to know that the DBW tables are working properly before I spend the money on the dyno to fine tune my maps for going to the NASA Eastern Nationals where my car will most likely be placed on the dyno for verification multiple times.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:57 AM

Also the easiest way for me to see whether the throttle changes are working is to just look at my boost curve. My ideal situation is 14 psi ASAP and then tail it off to around 7 psi at redline by closing the throttle with the DBW tables. This should result in a nearly flat horsepower curve at my desired whp level with proper tuning.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The DBW tables do seem to be working well again
Old 05-31-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
Also the easiest way for me to see whether the throttle changes are working is to just look at my boost curve. My ideal situation is 14 psi ASAP and then tail it off to around 7 psi at redline by closing the throttle with the DBW tables. This should result in a nearly flat horsepower curve at my desired whp level with proper tuning.
They seem to be working how you'd expect them to, but I won't make any promises as I haven't paid too much attention to them. Having access to the new speed/throttle table means you shouldn't have strange behavior now like the throttle plate opening progressively more as speed increases with the same pedal position.

The easiest "test" before going to dyno tune your car would be to play with the tables a little on the street if possible first. Set the speed/throttle tables to match the index values, then try reducing the throttle plate opening at WOT in the "main" table as needed and confirm with datalogs that the set value matches the actual value. You never know with hondata if you'll come across an issue till you try it..
Old 05-31-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by King Tut' timestamp='1464706639' post='23980816
They seem to be working how you'd expect them to, but I won't make any promises as I haven't paid too much attention to them. Having access to the new speed/throttle table means you shouldn't have strange behavior now like the throttle plate opening progressively more as speed increases with the same pedal position.

The easiest "test" before going to dyno tune your car would be to play with the tables a little on the street if possible first. Set the speed/throttle tables to match the index values, then try reducing the throttle plate opening at WOT in the "main" table as needed and confirm with datalogs that the set value matches the actual value. You never know with hondata if you'll come across an issue till you try it..
Yeah ideally I would spend a day on the street fully tuning my fuel cells at all boost and throttle plate opening combos before heading to the dyno to fine tune igntion timing and get that flat horsepower curve that the Vettes all use.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sylvan' timestamp='1464235585' post='23976730
I'm not on my laptop or I'd grab a screenshot. Nothing special.. the speed/throttle table I just set to the throttle lookup value. So 62% = 62% for the whole column for example. The larger throttle table I just scaled things like I did on the old throttle table. I multiplied the first several columns by something like .7, then the next several by ~.8. This is to desensitize the throttle a little especially at lower speeds.
I finally got some time to play around with this today. I found that messing with the throttle index table (the smaller one) gave me strange results. I tried as you suggested but my power felt down, and my datalogs showed that I was only getting 90% Tplate for 100% pedal. So I put the index table back to stock equivalent and I was back to getting 100% Tplate again. From now on I'm just going to tweak the throttle target (larger table) to get the feel I'm looking for.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey all, thanks for this discussion. It's been really helpful and sold me on getting a Flashpro. If I may go on slight tangent... does the throttle behave differently when there is no load (i.e. neutral or clutch-in)? Personally I find it difficult to get the revs sufficiently high when I blip the throttle for downshifts. Most times I'd have to stomp harder on the pedal a second time for it to respond to my liking. So it seems I have the opposite problem from Gernby, where I find the throttle map not sensitive enough. Ideas?

Quick Reply: Customizing the DBW Throttle mapping