S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Customizing the DBW Throttle mapping

Old 05-12-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't install 2.3.8 yet!!!
http://www.hondata.com/forum/viewtop...p=87135#p87135
Old 05-12-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Guess that's why it's called a Beta.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Interesting.. I wonder if this is an issue for all cars BUT the S..

I installed it and was planning on trying it out tomorrow. I can confirm my throttle changes were overwritten but I kind of figured it would be like that for the S since the tables are completely different. For non-S owners, they gotta be a bit peeved..
Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 AM

I tried the new firmware 2.3.9 which fixed the bug (they released 2.3.9 on friday I think) at the track on Sunday and the throttle is much better. It feels like a "normal" throttle again. Keep in mind when you upgrade to the new firmware, you will lose your old throttle table values as it uses new indexes and just loads the default new table and values. I took a screenshot of my table before upgrading the firmware to have as a record.

This is a very nice upgrade for anyone that tracks their car. I imagine it should help quite a bit in your case Tut. The fact that the main throttle table values reflect the ACTUAL throttle % opening now should also help you.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
This is a very nice upgrade for anyone that tracks their car. I imagine it should help quite a bit in your case Tut. The fact that the main throttle table values reflect the ACTUAL throttle % opening now should also help you.
I don't know why you are finding this to be such a big deal. The underlying logic has not changed. Not sure how this is a nice upgrade for track cars, lol. The underlying hex and values have not changed, only the formula. 66.7 old = 100 new. BOTH equal the same damn thing in hex.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by shind3
I don't know why you are finding this to be such a big deal. The underlying logic has not changed. Not sure how this is a nice upgrade for track cars, lol. The underlying hex and values have not changed, only the formula. 66.7 old = 100 new. BOTH equal the same damn thing in hex.
Huh? Of course the underlying logic changed (in the sense that the tpedal value actually now accurately reflects the value set in the larger table). The smaller lookup table makes a big difference. I know the larger throttle table is the same..

With the previous uneditable speed/throttle table, 62.6% tpedal = 84.6% tplate at 160+kph.

With a boosted engine that is MUCH more sensitive to throttle openings to regulate boost, this will be even more pronounced.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:10 PM

The logic/code did not change. You just have access to a different table now. I guess this is semantics. Do you consider every table you tune a 'logic change'? Anyway, this is going down an irrelevant path. Glad we have info on the background math now. I just tuned for the track and didn't notice much need to tune anything but the low rpm stuff for parking lot maneuvers. So to me this isn't a big deal. But I guess with a different tuning strategy, it is. FWIW, I left the throttle table linear too, haha.

Also, about a boosted engine, you achieve max boost pressure even earlier than NA relative to WOT unless you have a drag racing turbo on, at which point, who cares. Lots of Subarus engines experienced detonatation because of a phenomenon called Part Throttle Full Boost... Mostly due to delays in switching to Open Loop on some specific model years.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,256 Likes on 1,097 Posts

FlashPro 2.3.9.0 would not link with the FlashPro on my Win10 machine. OK in Win7. Right now I only use my FlashPro as a Bluetooth interface to monitor AFR on my iPad when I'm curious, I've not touched the tables in the ECU.

-- Chuck
Old 05-17-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by shind3
The logic/code did not change. You just have access to a different table now. I guess this is semantics. Do you consider every table you tune a 'logic change'? Anyway, this is going down an irrelevant path. Glad we have info on the background math now. I just tuned for the track and didn't notice much need to tune anything but the low rpm stuff for parking lot maneuvers. So to me this isn't a big deal. But I guess with a different tuning strategy, it is. FWIW, I left the throttle table linear too, haha.

Also, about a boosted engine, you achieve max boost pressure even earlier than NA relative to WOT unless you have a drag racing turbo on, at which point, who cares. Lots of Subarus engines experienced detonatation because of a phenomenon called Part Throttle Full Boost... Mostly due to delays in switching to Open Loop on some specific model years.
You're right, the logic/code didn't change in one sense, but it did because now we can have a flat throttle "curve" that isn't speed dependent (if that's what someone opted for). You asked what the "big deal" was, and the "big deal" is we no longer have this strange throttle plate behavior that isn't explainable and is now fixable to act like a "normal" throttle pedal. If you can't tell the difference and don't care about 60% throttle vs. 80% throttle on track good for you, but some of us do care. That's a big deal to me, and I'm not the first to notice the odd (and I should say poor) throttle plate behavior w/ the flashpros on s2ks.

Even running a bigger turbo has its benefits, you just don't recognize them.. I'm sure having a throttle plate in the flashpro that says 80% and actually translates to 80% will make life a lot easier for Tut tuning his car, especially since he's very likely limiting his HP on the top end via closing the throttle plate (TT classes have power/weight limits). Good to know about the Subarus, but it's not really relevant because the honda ecu to my knowledge switches to open loop in boost..
Old 05-25-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Anyone notice the newest software version defaulted all previous made changes to the throttle map? And the tables look different now too with values over 100%. :scratchhead:

Quick Reply: Customizing the DBW Throttle mapping