S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Customizing the DBW Throttle mapping

Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
Originally Posted by shind3' timestamp='1467390533' post='24007062
[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1467378423' post='24006876']
So my test was a complete failure last night. I swear everytime I try and mess with this it just leads me to more frustration. I set the tables up to reduce throttle plate opening from 6000 RPM to 8000 RPM. The datalogs said that TPedal was 100% and TPlate was 60% at 8000RPM, yet my car didn't feel any slower, and still made 14 psi of boost no problem. This is the shit that really pisses me off. I can't believe what Hondata is telling me. There is no way that the actual throttle plate was at 60% open. Now I wasn't on the dyno to see if this made any actual change in power even though it was pulling 14 psi, but I can tell you the butt dyno felt no noticeable change. I don't know if it is just ignoring the TPlate value and doing it's own thing because the shift in plate value is too harsh? There isn't much I can do with 1,000 RPM resolution. I sure am glad that the table goes all the way to 10,000 RPM as well. Are there any other standalone options that might have better control over the DBW throttle?
Is this your first turbo car? This is what happens with an 'oversized' throttle body, lol.
No. I wouldn't call the S2000 throttle body oversized. Your statement doesn't even make any sense.
[/quote]
Most throttle bodies are oversized. They flow way more than the engine can. So as a result, you only need to open them part way for max (within a few %) flow. This can be evidenced by MAP peaking before TPS does.

I am losing energy trying to explain this to you guys. Look up Part Throttle Full Boost on Subarus with a mechanical linear throttle, lol.

Also, this will be my last post in this thread. I've said my piece but doesn't look like anyone is actually reading it with comprehension.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Originally Posted by King Tut' timestamp='1467395743' post='24007131
[quote name='Gernby' timestamp='1467395338' post='24007127']You should limit the throttle plate across the entire RPM range to something like 40% max, then datalog some full throttle pulls. Then I would do the same thing over and over again raising max throttle by a set percent increment (flat across the whole rev range). That way you can plot the response out on a graph, which will help you calculate the non-linear throttle map that you will need.
That is the only way I have ever had success with getting Hondata to do what I command it to do. I have managed to get it to only make 5 psi at 8000 RPM with a 7 psi spring, but I had to limit throttle for every RPM. The reality is that doesn't help me with my goal because I want 100% throttle until somewhere between 5000 and 6000 RPM. I am thinking that it has some kind of failsafe where it ignores the TPlate value and reverts back to the TPedal value if certain conditions aren't met.
Are you sure that you were setting the 5 colummns on the right to the restricted value? In previous versions, and also with the new version in its default setup, the right 4 columns are completely ignored.
[/quote]

Yep. The Hondata datalog showed the proper TPlate value being set. I am just convinced that the ECU ignored what TPlate said and the throttle remained at the TPedal value of 100%. I also tried your idea and rescaled the two tables so that the last 4 columns were useful, and that made no difference either. The TPlate value is definitely being set correctly, it is just being ignored.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by shind3
Originally Posted by King Tut' timestamp='1467394353' post='24007116
[quote name='shind3' timestamp='1467390533' post='24007062']
[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1467378423' post='24006876']
So my test was a complete failure last night. I swear everytime I try and mess with this it just leads me to more frustration. I set the tables up to reduce throttle plate opening from 6000 RPM to 8000 RPM. The datalogs said that TPedal was 100% and TPlate was 60% at 8000RPM, yet my car didn't feel any slower, and still made 14 psi of boost no problem. This is the shit that really pisses me off. I can't believe what Hondata is telling me. There is no way that the actual throttle plate was at 60% open. Now I wasn't on the dyno to see if this made any actual change in power even though it was pulling 14 psi, but I can tell you the butt dyno felt no noticeable change. I don't know if it is just ignoring the TPlate value and doing it's own thing because the shift in plate value is too harsh? There isn't much I can do with 1,000 RPM resolution. I sure am glad that the table goes all the way to 10,000 RPM as well. Are there any other standalone options that might have better control over the DBW throttle?
Is this your first turbo car? This is what happens with an 'oversized' throttle body, lol.
No. I wouldn't call the S2000 throttle body oversized. Your statement doesn't even make any sense.
[/quote]
Most throttle bodies are oversized. They flow way more than the engine can. So as a result, you only need to open them part way for max (within a few %) flow. This can be evidenced by MAP peaking before TPS does.

I am losing energy trying to explain this to you guys. Look up Part Throttle Full Boost on Subarus with a mechanical linear throttle, lol.

Also, this will be my last post in this thread. I've said my piece but doesn't look like anyone is actually reading it with comprehension.
[/quote]

What the hell does MAP peaking mean? 4 bar of boost is MAP peaking in my book. You make blanket statements, but don't provide answers to actual questions. You refrence things that aren't relevant. What would you suggest I do to go from making 14 psi at 6000 RPM to 7 psi at 8000 RPM? How much do you think the throttle plate needs to be closed? Are you saying that the car is actually closing the throttle plate to 60% and that it is causing no restriction or loss in power?
Old 07-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I assure you it is not being ignored. I rely on the throttle mapping extensively for etuning.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:47 AM

I assure you it is not being ignored. I rely on the throttle mapping extensively for etuning.
Yeah but you are making small tweaks that are all reasonable and not sudden changes. I am asking it to go from 100% to 60% over a 500 RPM window. There is a big difference.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gernby' timestamp='1467408134' post='24007306
Yeah but you are making small tweaks that are all reasonable and not sudden changes. I am asking it to go from 100% to 60% over a 500 RPM window. There is a big difference.
I agree that the customized throttle map I use on the street for daily driving is not that extreme, but I have MUCH more demanding uses for throttle mapping than just that. I can't share too much about my "secret sauce", but the custom throttle maps I use for eTuning are more extreme than what you are looking to do, and require repeatable precision instantaneously.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by King Tut' timestamp='1468345623' post='24014835
[quote name='Gernby' timestamp='1467408134' post='24007306']
I agree that the customized throttle map I use on the street for daily driving is not that extreme, but I have MUCH more demanding uses for throttle mapping than just that. I can't share too much about my "secret sauce", but the custom throttle maps I use for eTuning are more extreme than what you are looking to do, and require repeatable precision instantaneously.
[/quote]

I know all about your uses of the throttle mapping to fill out the load points in the fueling tables, but you don't deal with boost, and you certainly don't ask the throttle to go from 100% to 50% from 6000 RPM to 8000 RPM in the process of tuning these naturally aspirated cars. What you call extreme is fairly simple and limiting throttle to fill out load points isn't unreasonable to the ECU. I will have some more time to mess around with this stuff in the coming weeks. shind3 might be right in that the throttle plate just isn't a big enough restriction unless it is very closed to stop the motor from building boost. I will go more extreme with my values and start closing the throttle earlier in the RPM range as well. I don't care what the values or the boost ends up being in the end. All I care about is that I know it is working, and to have the longest and flattest power curve I can create.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I haven't been following the responses recently but I will later tonight but just a quick response to Tut's issue. You probably just need to close the throttle plate more. If 60% is still resulting in full boost, try 40%. If that doesn't work try 30% and keep going down.. One could certainly argue that just using the throttle plate to solely control boost (assuming your wastegate isn't opening) probably isn't the best way. This is why electronic boost controllers exist (to alter the wastegate opening), but that's obviously a different discussion entirely.

I full understand what you're saying shind regarding hitting "peak map" on part throttle. I've been playing with hondas for the better part of 2 decades now, and started playing with hondata back when I had to burn eeproms in what 2002? On my old turbo integra I'd see boost with very light throttle. My point is that I understand all that and simply wanted the pedal to act like a normal cable throttle. With the recent release it does and I'm a happy camper. Maybe I'll respond later to your long winded posts but my short answer is I understand all that.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

I know all about your uses of the throttle mapping to fill out the load points in the fueling tables, but you don't deal with boost, and you certainly don't ask the throttle to go from 100% to 50% from 6000 RPM to 8000 RPM in the process of tuning these naturally aspirated cars. What you call extreme is fairly simple and limiting throttle to fill out load points isn't unreasonable to the ECU. I will have some more time to mess around with this stuff in the coming weeks. shind3 might be right in that the throttle plate just isn't a big enough restriction unless it is very closed to stop the motor from building boost. I will go more extreme with my values and start closing the throttle earlier in the RPM range as well. I don't care what the values or the boost ends up being in the end. All I care about is that I know it is working, and to have the longest and flattest power curve I can create.
Have I done a tune for you? I have posted some things about the throttle tables for tuning purposes, but I haven't posted about how I use them for eTuning. My use of DBW mapping for eTuning is more extreme than what you need. I think you are way underestimating how quickly the DBW mechanism can respond.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:59 AM

Have I done a tune for you? I have posted some things about the throttle tables for tuning purposes, but I haven't posted about how I use them for eTuning. My use of DBW mapping for eTuning is more extreme than what you need. I think you are way underestimating how quickly the DBW mechanism can respond.
I asked you about a tune prolly a year ago, but you said you don't do boosted cars. I also hit you up the first time I started messing with the DBW tables. Trust me, I recommend anyone with a FlashPro to go to you for an eTune. I tune my own car, and considering my track schedule this year, I think the tune is working fine other than I haven't perfected the flat horsepower curve to bring to NASA Championships where the car can be impounded and dynoed after every session. It isn't a question of how quickly the DBW can respond it is a question of how large of a difference in values from cell to cell it will accept as a valid input. I've got a good amount of free time between my next NASA weekend and #GRIDLIFE South Time Attack Road Atlanta event at the end of August, so I will probably spend my free nights making pulls and messing with the DBW some more.

Quick Reply: Customizing the DBW Throttle mapping