S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Ballade sports PNP harness for Hondata Kpro 00-05

Old 11-05-2021, 03:08 PM

Received 1,226 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Would be shocking if it was road legal. For starters I don't think it can use your ECU. Clearly labelled "For off road and racing use only" (or similar) which is code for "will never pass smog."

-- Chuck
Old 11-05-2021, 03:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Orjinal
I'm very unfamiliar with the Kpro. Can anyone confirm if it passes state inspections requiring OBDII connection?
I've read of people passing emissions with kpro by emulating/enabling the OBD2 monitors via kpro. BUT, I also read threads of people failing with it.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:42 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

^^^ Yeah, something like this. Perhaps it depends on how aggressively the emissions inspection software interrogates the ECU.

Technically, it is not legal. That being said, I chose KPro over AEM Infinity and Haltech Elite because it's not a competition car, it is a street car so I prefer using a production car ECU vs a motorsports ECU. Retaining some level of OBDII functionality was somewhat of a priority for me.

For you I suppose it will depend the scope of your local inspection.

In all seriousness, may depend on what the guy had for lunch that day, did he get in a fight with his old lady that morning before work, and so on.

I've passed Southern California emissions visual inspection with cars equipped with hardware and software that technically was not legal. I've also failed the visual with the same parts on the same car at a different shop. What was the difference? One guy, either due to ignorance or lack of effort didn't catch the stuff, and the other guy did.

As for software/ECU related stuff, it seems to be a constant game of cat and mouse. The ECU inspection criteria on some cars in some areas (read: "Enhanced" emissions areas in California) is absolutely insane these days.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:04 AM

Haven't had to pass any smog tests with my S2000 but I recall the VIN as stored in the ECU has to match the car's VIN. Not sure how an Acura ECU which I recall is part of this mod can get the S2000 VIN stored.

Even though my S2000 has always been registered in a non-smog county in OH or VA it did pass the self-service Ohio smog with my FlashPro tune but that doesn't mess with the VIN in the ECU.

-- Chuck
Old 11-08-2021, 06:49 AM

Received 174 Likes on 132 Posts

In New York, the shop I take my cars to doesn't hassle me with the visual stuff(obviously the tires/brakes are good, lights work, etc.). However, I am unsure on how "enhanced" the inspection is on the software side and it'll be a very costly experiment.

Thank you everyone.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:33 AM

As soon as the smog testing accesses the ECU via the OBD2 port they'll know something is "not right."

-- Chuck
Old 11-08-2021, 05:23 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

KPro passes a standard OBD2 test in most states. I've passed in Pennsylvania and Georgia. In California, it would fail the latest testing, but so would anything without a CARB EO number.

Tim
Old 11-09-2021, 11:41 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Haven't had to pass any smog tests with my S2000 but I recall the VIN as stored in the ECU has to match the car's VIN. Not sure how an Acura ECU which I recall is part of this mod can get the S2000 VIN stored.

Even though my S2000 has always been registered in a non-smog county in OH or VA it did pass the self-service Ohio smog with my FlashPro tune but that doesn't mess with the VIN in the ECU.

-- Chuck
Depends on the scope of the inspection, varies by location.

Regarding Flashpro,
My previous 06 with Flashpro passed in CA but I sold that car in 2016.
If it still would now, it might not for long. The writing is on the wall. CA has been able to check Calibration ID for the last couple years. So even if you are using the same ecu it left the factory with, if the cal ID doesn’t match you’re hosed. So if you reflash your car you better download the stock ROM 1st and keep it safe to re-upload come test day.
Frequent offender cars were targeted first. 2003-06 Evo. Gets worse…some evo owners being randomly selected to bypass the normal inspection and getting sent straight to the state referee. There’s several threads on the forums documenting the madness.

Originally Posted by timg
KPro passes a standard OBD2 test in most states. I've passed in Pennsylvania and Georgia. In California, it would fail the latest testing, but so would anything without a CARB EO number.

Tim
^ this

Last edited by ApexHunter; 11-09-2021 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

how is this working out so far. Read multiple complaints on YouTube about unreliability.

Originally Posted by Vsdanny
Hey guys thought i would give some insight on the ballade sports PNP harness. First i would like to say this was exactly what i was looking for as far as not having to convert valve cover, sensors etc. i would also say (and will take pictures), when you receive the harness make sure to check to make sure plugs are plugged in the correct order with the ballade sports harness. It’s hard to tell since 2 of the plugs are the same connecting to the kpro and they are not labeled. (Blew fuse #46 and stopped getting power to my ECU). Once everything was resolved loaded a base map to my car and it started right up no issues. The other issue i had was how to mount the computer to where the stock ECU sat since ballade doesn’t make a bracket and having the computer sitting on the floor was annoying. From my knowledge Hondata makes a bracket that fits the PRB computer to where the stock computer sits but the issue is the ballade sports harness is long and ends up being a ball of wire sitting right next to your clutch pedal. (I will provide pictures since i made a 3D print and trial and error fitment). My solution was 3D printing a bracket the mounted the computer upside down so the bulk of the wiring from the harness and hang down and plug in more naturally. Needless to say I’m pretty happy now that i got it perfected to the point where bulk of wiring is gone and kick panel goes back on only with minimal displacement towards the dead pedal.

here is a picture of my first trial with the PRB computer sitting with computer plugs facing down. Too much bulk next to the clutch pedal and a wiring mess.

after making another bracket mounting the PRB computer plugs facing up it allows the ballade sports harness to use its length to run along side the computer and plug more naturally. I’m extremely happy with the end result and I’m extremely happy Ballade sports gave us an option to run a Hondata PRB Kpro computer without having to convert anything.

Old 12-14-2022, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jcue411
how is this working out so far. Read multiple complaints on YouTube about unreliability.
Yes I would also like to know how the ballade harness is treating you. I have seen tuners try to tune with this harness and have failed. Like 3 or 4 different people on Instagram and YouTube.

Quick Reply: Ballade sports PNP harness for Hondata Kpro 00-05