S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Another Tunerview II install option

Old 01-12-2011, 05:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Jan 11 2011, 05:16 PM
Yes, but why would you want to leave the FlashPro AND laptop hooked up all the time?
You wouldn't. You would want a display that shows you all the paramaters that FlashPro can see without the laptop. That's what the TunverView can do.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle,Jan 12 2011, 09:25 AM
You wouldn't. You would want a display that shows you all the paramaters that FlashPro can see without the laptop. That's what the TunverView can do.
You wouldn't want that either! The difference in cost between a device that is totally self contained with its own OBDII / CAN interface vs one that gets its data from the FlashPro is probably $1. Actually, I take that back. It's probably much more costly to build a device that would get its data from the FlashPro.

Why not just get something like a Dash Hawk?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main advantage for using the TV2 over an OBDII display is update frequency and the option to display anything from the KPro that's not in the OBDII spec.

But for someone running FlashPro it's not an option. Plug in displays are fine, though, for the most part but you do notice how much more sluggish they update compared side by side with the TV2.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

When you use the FlashPro to datalog, it is doing so via OBDII. However, it is using the latest OBDII standard, which utilizes CANBUS. The data rate is MUCH faster than what the KPro puts out. If you get a current generation OBDII display that supports the latest OBDII standard, it will have very fast update rates too. When you use the FlashPro and a laptop to datalog, you are effectively just using the FlashPro as a CAN-to-USB dongle.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Jan 12 2011, 10:21 AM
If you get a current generation OBDII display that supports the latest OBDII standard, it will have very fast update rates too.
Very cool, I was looking in to OBDII displays when I couldn't get my TV2 working (turned out it was a firmware conflict with KManager 1.4.1) but they were slow. If I had a FlashPro it would be nice to have some of the extra features they offer. Timers, more display options, etc.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Former Sponsor

I REALLY doubt the '00-'05 S2000's support CAN, so they would provide slow data updates. The old prodocol required the datalogger to request each piece of data, then wait for the ECU top send it. However, all cars were required to support CAN beginning in '08, and the S2000 got it in '06. I'm not certain about the data rate on the S2000's CAN, but my Lexus was pumping data at about 1 Mbps. With CAN, the data is present all the time, so the datalogger just listens for what it wants. This means that the update rate for a particular parameter is not impeded by monitoring multiple parameters.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Jan 12 2011, 11:32 AM
You wouldn't want that either! The difference in cost between a device that is totally self contained with its own OBDII / CAN interface vs one that gets its data from the FlashPro is probably $1. Actually, I take that back. It's probably much more costly to build a device that would get its data from the FlashPro.

Why not just get something like a Dash Hawk?
DashHawk doesn't look bad. But there's things in the Hondata datastream that the OBDII protocol will have no clue about like boost control duty cycle & A/F Ratio (AP1) and also the speed of the sample rate. I have a Scangauge II in my daily that operates off of CAN-BUS like you mentioned, and the sample rate is horrifically slow.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by gernby,Jan 12 2011, 12:21 PM
When you use the FlashPro to datalog, it is doing so via OBDII. However, it is using the latest OBDII standard, which utilizes CANBUS. The data rate is MUCH faster than what the KPro puts out. If you get a current generation OBDII display that supports the latest OBDII standard, it will have very fast update rates too. When you use the FlashPro and a laptop to datalog, you are effectively just using the FlashPro as a CAN-to-USB dongle.
I can say with 99% certainty Flashpro datalogging is not done by OBDII. The protocol is way too slow
Old 01-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spectacle,Jan 13 2011, 07:44 PM
I can say with 99% certainty Flashpro datalogging is not done by OBDII. The protocol is way too slow
I agree it's not done via the old OBDII protocol. I believe it is done by the new OBDII protocol (CAN).
Old 01-14-2011, 05:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spectacle,Jan 13 2011, 07:43 PM
DashHawk doesn't look bad. But there's things in the Hondata datastream that the OBDII protocol will have no clue about like boost control duty cycle & A/F Ratio (AP1) and also the speed of the sample rate. I have a Scangauge II in my daily that operates off of CAN-BUS like you mentioned, and the sample rate is horrifically slow.
What is your daily, and what parameters are slow? On CAN, every parameter can have a different packet rate. Things like individual wheel speeds (for stability control, etc.) will have a really high packet rate (60+ updates per second), but things like outside air temp will be really slow (1 update per second). If you look at the FlashPro datalogs, you can get an idea of which values update faster than others.

Quick Reply: Another Tunerview II install option