S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.
View Poll Results: What tuning system do you run and prefer?
AEM EMS
49.16%
Hondata
45.25%
Other
5.59%
Voters: 537. You may not vote on this poll

AEM ems vs Hondata

Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Passing emissions is overrated, id fail visual anyway.
As soon as they see I'm running an adjustable fpr, hfc, almost double stock fuel pressure I will fail before they even connect the obd2 plug. Regardless I'm going to need to swap stock parts to get my sticker. Changing the ecu back to stock takes 5minutes and is the least of my worries.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2011, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking of replacing my Greddy EMU with either AEM or Hondata because I think my ID1000's are close to fuel washing my motor. Not happy about that. I was leaning Hondata because of the temp gauge and emissions, but if V2 gives us the temp gauge, then I'm starting to think I'd rather have a solid tune using AEM (because my tuner is familiar with it).

To pass emissions, I'm thinking I would have to:
1. Swap ECU's (easy).
2. Swap injectors back to stock (not too hard).
3. Drive around for a week or two so that the computer can re-learn the fuel trims and build a history.
4. Somehow avoid boosting during those two weeks, and while the car is being emissions tested.

Is that everything? Are #3 and #4 true? I'll probably be turbo'd again by the time I get smogged next year, and I do not want to have to remove the turbo just to pass.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:30 AM

I went hondata to avoid hassles w emissions.

Theres something to be said to not have to worry about anything at all comes emissions.

Is it really worth it if you have to continuously change injectors etc year after year?

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 11-02-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, that was my plan but the more I look into this, the more I change my mind. I seem to have run across threads where people were changing out a bunch of sensors (like on the cams and crank??) to run the Kpro? And I have to send somebody my ECU to have it converted, which means I'm unable to drive the car for a while? (Or pay more to use another ECU?)

I think I'd most prefer the end result of going Kpro, but getting there sounds like a journey rather than just a simple purchase. I'm starting to feel like I should make a spreadsheet with all the options and add up the costs.

It kinda seems like for less money and hassle, I could run Haltech and keep the factory sensors, then just plug my OEM ECU and my E-manage back in for a week to pass emissions. (Or AEM, though I'd have to swap some other stuff but I'm not sure what exactly that is yet.) I seem to spend most weekends working on the car anyway, so swapping the ECU really isn't much of an issue. I just took it out the other day so we could do some welding on the frame...
Old 11-02-2011, 02:44 PM

You have to change a sensor that is on one of the camshafts. Supposedly you dont have to take it out, i have both times.

You have to drop the pan to get to the other sensor that needs to be changed.

Then everything else described on the kpro page.

Then you never have to mess with that stuff again.

I also contemplated going greddy and AEM, but then the cost is basically the same as KPRO, for more work (over the life of the car). Plus, if the greddy was good enough, why would you go AEM? Ie, i didnt want something (emu) that would just "get me by", even for a little while.

You send in the RSX ecu, not your s2000 ecu, to be modified, so you will always have all the parts to have your car drivable.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jh4db536
Passing emissions is overrated, id fail visual anyway.
As soon as they see I'm running an adjustable fpr, hfc, almost double stock fuel pressure I will fail before they even connect the obd2 plug. Regardless I'm going to need to swap stock parts to get my sticker. Changing the ecu back to stock takes 5minutes and is the least of my worries.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
You are mistaken about what you think is illegal, you are allowed to replace a cat with one that mounts in the same positions and uses the same 02 mounting method and the FPR is not smog controlled. Unfortunately Krpo for the AP1 is the best way to tune a street car in a smog controlled state. You can tune it with EMS but it would make more sense to spend the extra 800 1 time and never have to worry.

Also MAC is not horrible for business but it's not great for all businesses - you can dual boot windows on new intel based macs and run all of the regular software or you can just use macs for what they really excel at graphically intense work.

They also have superior battery life and the resale value shows this.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:13 PM

my berk HFC mounted in the same place as stock is Cali smog legal? wow that's news to me.
i failed visual smog when i had an obd1 (no plug in bs) integra with a B&M FPR...i would expect the same result with my aem fpr in my s2k. you could fail for not having the vacuum line attached to a stock one.

so, i can swap my ecu and go pass that's awesome.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

my berk HFC mounted in the same place as stock is Cali smog legal? wow that's news to me.
i failed visual smog when i had an obd1 (no plug in bs) integra with a B&M FPR...i would expect the same result with my aem fpr in my s2k. you could fail for not having the vacuum line attached to a stock one.

According to Berk, it was BEFORE 2009.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:22 PM

KPRO is an amazing unit in my opinion.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:32 AM

You are able to replace a failed catalytic converter in California with any model that is in the same position and uses the same 02 sensor mounting positioned - if you failed it was due to pollution not appearance - same thing with the fuel rail. Either that or you simply went to a guy that likes to fail Honda's based on suspicion not fact. It also helps to paint these items black as people tend to be drawn to shiny things.

Quick Reply: AEM ems vs Hondata