S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Adjusting VTEC, rev limiter, and launch?

Old 09-06-2014, 06:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Adjusting VTEC, rev limiter, and launch?

Hey guys, I'm completely new to the whole Hondata and the Flashpro usage but I just recently picked up a Flashpro and a K&N FIPK intake.

I followed the steps by updating everything, locking it to my car and even uploaded one of the base maps "06+ USA/Canada with Injen intake".

I really haven't driven the car much since installing both the intake and the flash (it's been raining) but I don't really notice a difference other than the crazy sound from the intake . I don't even think it changed my vtec engagement point (I'm not even sure it's supposed to).

I've read through the FAQ's and tried searching but have come up with more questions than answers but being that I don't have any experience with the whole tuning thing, would it be safe for me to try and lower it myself to around 5600rpm? Again, I don't know anything but I'm up for learning.
I'd also like to setup some sort of launch control rpm hold and safely increase my redline to 8.5k rpm.

I'm wondering if I'm biting off more than I can chew.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:16 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If you still have the stock cat then you aren't going to see much benefit in lowering VTEC. I'm not certain Flashpro has a launch control feature but raising the rev limiter to 8500 is fairly common. I would not use the default tunes, send Gernby a PM and get a e-tune.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I looked at buying a test pipe but read a lot of posts about people saying the exhaust sounds hollow which turned me off from getting one.

I'm not looking to build a full fledged race car but trying to optimize what I have now without making too much noise.
If I want to go really fast I'll just hop on my motorcycle

I'm guessing by your response, that adjusting the vtec and rpm limit myself is out of the question lol

I'll pm gernby about the possibility of getting an e-tune or maybe look at selling my flashpro
Old 09-06-2014, 08:24 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by d1000rr
I'm guessing by your response, that adjusting the vtec and rpm limit myself is out of the question lol
The point is that you won't really see any benefit by just setting a random lower VTEC engagement although it would be very easy to do. In order to see any actual gains you need data logs and a competent tuner to make proper adjustments. A high flow cat is a nice compromise if you don't want a test pipe, my VTEC crossover is 4900. I only know enough to get in trouble so hopefully Gernby will jump in here and help you out. E-tune is fairly cheap and you will be much happier with the product. If you aren't willing to change out the stock cat then you might be better off just selling it.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nate7
If you still have the stock cat then you aren't going to see much benefit in lowering VTEC. I'm not certain Flashpro has a launch control feature but raising the rev limiter to 8500 is fairly common. I would not use the default tunes, send Gernby a PM and get a e-tune.

What he said is exactly what i would say. I just had my e-tune uploaded this past week and its great. But yes a Test Pipe or even a HFC would be needed to lower Vtec and see some gains. Launch control is possible but the Stock Diff is weak, id avoid launching the car, or look into the Puddymod diff upgrade.