S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

XM satellite radio recommendation needed

Old 05-07-2005, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM satellite radio recommendation needed

Hey all-

Noobie here. I just bought a '00 S2000. Stock Head Unit. I am going to be getting some sort of Satellite radio for it. I was wondering if it is worth it to just get rid of the old HU and replace it with an after market one. I am looking for something that will sound good, but not insane quality. I am limited to around $300-350 for every thing. I figure $250ish for the HU, $50 for wiring, and $50 for something called "switcher" that I have been told will allow the stock controls to the left of the wheel to operate the new HU. I figure I can wait until Best Buy or someone like that has an offer for "free installation" if you spend so much money. I was also considering something like the Delphi, as it is significantly cheaper. Is there a downside to going this route as opposed to a new HU? Is it worth the saving in $? I know I will also have to purchase the XM tuner on top of the $300-350, as most HU's are just "satellite ready."

Please let me know which way is better, and if it is worth the extra $. Also, if you recommend changing the HU, please recommend a brand / model that is within $250-300. I have heard that Pioneer is good.

Thanks for any input.

John
Old 05-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats up buddy....

First of all, never ever again listen to what the circuit city tards recommend. They are moron highschool students (95% of them, if someone here works there, sorry for offending you, but its true) and have no clue about the first thing regarding car audio.

Get yourself the Alpine 9851. It has everything you need, and nothing you dont. It plays Mp3s, is Satellite ready, and easy to use.

Here is one I found for $209, which is a great deal. Link 1

Next, get yourself an XM kit available from XM directly....click on alpine.
XM KIT

Then get yourself a DCI that is available at the s2ki marketplace, and you are good to go.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:00 PM

How difficult is it to wire? How do you wire the DCI kit? My friend installed the radio in his RSX, would he know how to wire the DCI kit? I am just worried about screwing it up. Will I need a new wiring harness for the Alpine?

Thanks a bunch.

John
Old 05-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Former Moderator

Nope...the DCi comes with a harness, and all you have to do is connect the alpine wires to the DCI wires (color matched). The instructions provided are idiot proof, so youll have no problems. If you need, Ill give you my number, and Ill walk you through it over the phone. The RSX is MUCH harder than the s2000, so dont let that throw you.

Where do you live....I might be able to get a local to help you out...
Old 05-08-2005, 07:28 AM

NFR-

Thanks a lot for all the help. I live in FL. Tallahassee to b exact. I take it that you are from NY? Where can I order the DCI? The folks @ Sound Advice here recommended a device called "switcher." Can you recommend a product that I can buy at Best Buy, Circuit City, or Sound Advice? I am looking at the 9851, but it is a bit expensive. I am not looking for anything immediately, but probably around July to purchase and install. They are cheap on eBay, but shipping is around $30, which almost eliminates the savings. PM me your phone number, so I can give you a ring if you dont know anyone here in Tallahassee, in case we get stuck.

thanks

John Allaman
Old 05-08-2005, 07:29 AM

I went online to bestbuy.com and looked up the ALpine 9851. That site tells me that it will not fit the S2000....why is that?
Old 05-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=jwa4378,May 8 2005, 10:29 AM] I went online to bestbuy.com and looked up the ALpine 9851.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:35 PM

I dont know either. I have seen several signitures of people on this website that have them installed. I just click on the icon on the right side of the product specifications, go through and select 2000 Honda S2000, and it says "NO FIT". Sounds retarded to me.

I realized in my past posts that I seem like a wiring novice. I do a LOT or residential wiring (switches, lights, 3-ways, etc.), but have no experience wiring in a car, except for wiring my amp in my old Miata. I am just scared about ing up the wiring in the back..... dont you have to loose the stock Mazda harness and rewire it with an Alpine harness? I am just scared of cutting wires and forgetting what goes where. If the little clips stay the same, I am good to go. I am als REALLY unsure about the "DCI" as I have never heard of one, let alone wired one. I have also read a few posts on this site that indicate that some are faulty, and even professional installers screw up the wiring. I think I may just leave it up to the professionals (if you can call them that) at someplace like Best Buy. The benefit of them doing it, in my opinion, is there is a workmanship warranty on their wiring, so if anything dies, they can fix it.

I am not sure about the Alpine, it is a bit pricey. I am looking at the Pioneer DEH-P4700MP. It is satellite ready, and seems to have all the options the Alpine has, and its $100 cheaper. I am also looking at the Sony CDXF5710. It has most of the options as the Alpine, except for the iPod compatability, but I do not won an iPod, so I dont need that. It is also $75 cheaper (I dont really want to buy off eBay for something this pricey). Are any of these viable alternative, or are they just crap in a box?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

John
Old 05-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Former Moderator

Remember, you pay cheap, you get cheap, then you pay again, and spend more. This Alpine is one of the cheapest they make. DO NOT buy anything at best buy. THey charge retail. Tell me what you want, and Ill get it for you. The DCI is available in the s2ki marketplace....click on the button on the top of the page.

As for the switcher...its probably the PAC unit, which blows.

Do it right, do it once. IN a month, youll forget that 75 bucks, but you wont foget what headunit is in your car everytime you get in. PM WillieGee. He lives in florida and may be able to help you out. Good guy, name is Bill.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:54 AM

NY-

Thanks for all the help. What price can you get me the Alpine for? I can PayPal you if you have an account. I am not looking to get anything for around another month, though. As for the DCI, I have looked for it, and there is no one person that seems to sell it on the marketplace. There was a topic on Modifry DCI, is that the one? Who do I contact to get one? Is there a vendor? Website? They said in the topics about the faulty ones, that they contacted the manufacturer, and they replaced them, who is the manufacturer? I am just concerned with putting $200+ dollars out there for an online purchase. I will look into it, though.

Quick Reply: XM satellite radio recommendation needed