S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

XM radio control mounting

Old 08-16-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM radio control mounting

Hi All:
I purchased a Delphi XM mobile system in March of last year. Most of the time I have listened to it at work on my bench but as I bought the home mounting unit in December I decided to install a permanent mount in my s2000. My first cut at a mount was in the passenger footwell and to use the remote. This was really a bad idea and I discarded it inside of a week. The second was much better as it was mounted in front of the HU. It was convenient but I could not easily access the CD player. With a 6 disk changer playing MP3s I didn't think that this was too much of a handicap. But I got tired of the hassel. Here are some pix of this mounting.
This mounting uses a piece of sheet metal bent to shape to hold to the trim above the HU and catches in the door. The power connector was pluged into the accessory connector and the antenna is in the "secret compartment".

I became tired of this as I use the CD player in the HU to audition CDs to see if I want to rip and then burn them in MP3 format for the changer.

I therefore bought a "Unimount" from Crutchfield and mounted it on the passengers side of the console to the removibal plastic pice on the side by the HU. The glue furnished by the manufacture didn't hold long so I drilled holes and used 2 440 screws and nuts to hold it in place.

The power to operate the XM receiver is now taken from the old power lead from the OEM HU that has been unused since the Alpine 7894 went in. This alleviates having anything pluged into the accessory connection which always bugged my elbow. I used a radio shack accessory "Y" connector and cut one of the sockets off. This is now above the passenger's legs in back of what I think is the air conditioner. The audio leads go under the HU and connect to the adapter which is tucked in above my legs under the steering wheel shaft. I could also use this to hold my cell phone and alternately if not used for the XM then for a communication radio such as the head unit for HF/VHF/UHF I have considered buying.
As a later modification I will install a power relay that will drop the power off when the ignition is off or I am using the starter.
A question for you guys "why does the radio cut out when you hit the starter button"? Yes I do know the answer. Note that the lights don't turn off (unless of course the battery is weak).
Andy
Old 08-16-2004, 09:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased the Roady and mounted it to the radio door. It still has enough clearance when open. I bought a wired FM modulator from delphi which includes a 6V output. That's behind the head unit.

the radio is on a 12V switched lead. the lights are on the 12v constant lead; they never cut out.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunatly the Roady was'nt around when I bought the Delphi. There is no way the Delphi will fit on the radio door and the door open. The Delphi uses a cradle that takes up too much room.
Andy