S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Would any s2000 owner's be interested in an iPad mini pod?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroBoutique
Actually, Tesla's location of their HUGE tablet is ideal for cars since it was designed for it. The s2000 location shown above is very dangerous as you will seriously have to look down to work it. If you don't believe us, next time you are doing 50+, put your phone in that location and try to read it.

I do put my phone there, every time I get in, I've yet to have to have an accident or die whilst looking at it 50+ despite the fact I use it as my tomtom sat nav and exclusively stream all my music via Bluetooth from it (don't listen to the radio), music control isn't really compromised as I mostly use the dash controls as Honda intended :-)
Attached Thumbnails Would any s2000 owner's be interested in an iPad mini pod?-image.jpg  
Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 PM

And FWIW, I'm not knocking your fabrication skills, just the bold statement of exclusively using touch screens is dangerous, considering more manufacturers are heading in this direction. I know the Tesla is an extreme example, but take the new McLaren's, their touchscreens which control their ICE, nav etc are a lot smaller, and mounted low, admittedly higher than the DIN in an S2k, but lower than the 'safe' position in the dash..

Considering the capable performance of these cars are far in excess of an S2k, you would have thought if it were dangerous, they would have had a rethink at the design stage?

Anyway, doesn't really bother me, I'm sure your customers are happy with their RHD bezels re-shaped for a LHD dash, one day I'll fit an OEM JDM dash with bezel built it and I'll be happy too :-) good luck with the build, look forward to seeing the finished result :-)
Old 07-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I appreciate your thought and examples - we actually had previously worked on a McLaren for a radar system so we are fully aware of the car's design.

Just remember in most of these cars, there are redundant controls for volume, track and other functions via large buttons or dials on the console or steering wheel. The idea is yes you can access the touchscreen occasionally but if you had to do EVERYTHING from a touchscreen such as adjust volume, in your location you would need to take the eyes off the road to hit a few buttons and then find the slider to perform the job. If you feel you are capable then by all means more power to you. But the average American has proven that even talking on the phone is a distraction hence our laws here for hands free driving. In CA it's a costly ticket if caught talking on your phone as a result.

All of us here are s2000 owners and we do drive our cars enough to know looking down at the radio in the center console is not safe. This is why Honda also built redundant radio controls on the side. Does your tablet work with those radio control buttons....if they do great job!

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@euroboutique/videos
Follow-Us Instagram/Facebook: https://www.instagram.com/euroboutique/

Old 07-23-2014, 02:53 PM

Turns out I am quite capable of selecting a few things on a touch screen without causing a horrific accident, so thank you for the empowerment :-) I must admit I cheat a little bit with the music player, using the full screen gesture 'listen' app (found here https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/list...768223310?mt=8) even Stevie Wonder could fumble around down there at 50+ and still skip a track or two whilst cranking the volume to 11! Although i'd question the safety of letting a visualy impaired man (or woman) drive at such speeds on a public motorway (or freeway).

We have similar laws over here about talking on mobile phones whilst driving too, as it, you cannot. If you get caught, then it's points and a huge fine, plus possibly a ban to, depending on speed, control, pedestrians killed, etc. but we're not taking about using a phone here are we, just using a touch screen media device, so not sure why you brought that up, kinda irrelevant like bringing up Stevie Wonder :-/

Turns out my tablet (well, iphone mainly, though have sat the nexus 7 in front of the din a few times) does work with the redundant (but useful) Honda buttons, but I cannot take credit for their working, the company that made the stereo, Sony, obviously factored in the chance that someone would plug one of their units into a Honda S2k via a harness bought from Dave's discount wires (or some other made up name) on ebay, and allow them to work! All I had to do was operate a screwdriver and pull a couple bits of plastic, yay me! :-D
Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM

Here it is coated in black!
The audio control buttons are useless right now, but i will probably link an Ipad remote to it.
I found a gauge cluster that is made for s2k's so now it looks even closer to stock!

My next project will be a custom storage space in the mid console, with a re-do of the hazards and roof switch.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also be interested!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:58 PM

I found the way to control it! I bought a Satechi remote, and it works great. Now all i have to do is hack it, so i can use the audio controls in the dash.
This is going to be tricky because the electonics inside will be very tiny!

Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Sponsor
Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Finished NEXUS Tablet install:

We are doing a similar one for an iPad mini except this one will be removable by sliding it out when not being docked!

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@euroboutique/videos
Follow-Us Instagram/Facebook: https://www.instagram.com/euroboutique/

Old 10-22-2014, 08:13 PM

Uniqueaudiova makes a IPad mini for a Honda S2000 custom
No cutting no drilling pressure fit
Old 11-06-2014, 06:35 PM

Uniqueaudiova.com has a custom iPad mini no cutting
Nice one too

Quick Reply: Would any s2000 owner's be interested in an iPad mini pod?