S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Wiring Question, System round 2.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Question, System round 2.

I am in the process of completing my second sound system in the S.
My question involves the wiring for the system. On my first system, I used a PAS2KNUT spare tire amp rack, so I wired the car accordingly, power wires, ground and speaker wires to that location.

Now this time around I am going to use a PAS2KNUT flat cover for the rear, so obviously I will need to extend the wires. I really do not want to rewire the entire car. How would I extend the speaker wires with out comprimising the integrity, what I mean is letting in engine noise or interference into the lines..

For the power wire and ground wire, I am going to use a fuse box, to extend the wires.

What do you guys recommend for extending the speaker wires. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:48 PM

I would extend them by soldering an extension onto the end the existing wire, then using a heat-shrink wrap to cover the wire splice. Worked well for extending the factory wires so I could place the x-overs in the little compartment in the doors. No real engine noise, that I can tell. Just make sure the heat shrink sleeve is a decent one. May want to use two.

John
Old 10-15-2005, 01:05 PM

Hmm, thats an option, I wonder how well the heat shrink wrap acts as an insulator.
I know my wires in there now are pretty thick in regards to the outer layer of insulation. Man I really do not want to re wire the doors, thats a royal pain.

Wait a minute, I am so dumb, I will just make a tiny spare tire amp rack for the crossovers, and mount the cross overs there, therefore all I need is just to extend the power/ground/remote wires, and then new speaker wires from the Amp to the X overs.

Problem solved! Now, EJ's, any recommendation on the fuse terminal? Doesnt have to be pretty, it will be behind the scenes. Just need it to be functional.

Also, can I fuse the ground wire, I am doing this in order to extend it to the amp.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:34 PM

No you don't need to fuse either of them. If you fused the power wire at the battery you don't need to do it again. Just extend them. You can buy butt splices, crimp them on, then solder them, and then put 2 or 3 layers(just depends on what type you use) of shink wrap over it. You'll be fine.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:56 PM

John,

But would it hurt to run a fuse box in the rear? I would really prefer not to splice the wire, and actually would like to run a small fuse terminal, but I dont know if it would affect anything?

I was checking out knukonceptz to see if they had any.

I saw a couple I like, I actually saw one that will read out the voltage, but does it matter if I am running 1/0 from the batter, and then reduce it down to 4 gauge to the amp?
Old 10-15-2005, 03:36 PM

Oh yeah you can do it but you don't have to. But if you wanted to you can. Its not going to hurt anything.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:02 PM

Ok cool, so now I know its ok to set up the fuse boxes in the back for both the power and ground wires.

Now my last question with this subject. Will I loose any voltage by reducing the power wire size from 1/0 to 4 gauge at the rear? I will also be reducing the ground as well, will this affect anything?
Old 10-15-2005, 05:12 PM

Ok here we go.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISPD2ANL

Will this fit my purpose. I want to run both the power and ground to this fuse box. Then run the extra wires needed to reach the amp. Want to run it as two separated fused circuits. I wonder how it will distinguish between the two circuits and which one does it read the voltage from?

What do you guys think?
Old 10-15-2005, 05:39 PM

Yeah that should work... I personally wouldn't put the ground and the power in the same block buts that's me. It would just make me nervous putting the power and the ground in that same block, if some ever got in there it might short. I would get 2 seperate ones myself.

But it will work just as you stated.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:29 PM

Good point John,

Hmm, wouldn't the fuses blow if that scenario where to happen.

The fuse block is covered from what I can tell, but its a possibility.

Quick Reply: Wiring Question, System round 2.