S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Wiring for Alpine deck

Old 03-10-2003, 04:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wiring for Alpine deck

I am going to get the Alpine 7893 and was wondering from others who have this deck, what you used to install it. Circuit City has what they call a smart adapter that is for the Alpine deck(they do not recommend cutting the wire connector off of the deck) and this goes to another adapter for the car so you do not need to do any splicing. The installers also said they do not run the separate power lead for this deck since they said the ones the did do this to, they could not tell any difference in sound quality. BTW, I already have the Lucid rear speakers and harness installed.

Any help is welcome before I pull the radio this weekend.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your deck has yellow wire that clears says DO NOT CONNECT BEHIND THE DECK DIRECT TO BATTERY, I would go along with that. Or At least run an Add-a-fuse for the constant.

The smart cable is not S2000 specific, you'll lose the mute and dash signal wire for a controller (if you wish to keep you dash controls). Also if you use this you'll have to cut the purple and green wires going INTO car mate plug and connect to your rears direct (not a big deal).
Old 03-10-2003, 05:22 PM

Dave,

Are you planning on trying to keep your dash controls? I'm interested in putting in a similar Alpine unit. You need any help/observers this weekend???
Old 03-10-2003, 05:32 PM

Lucid, if I get your harness, do I cut the the plug off of the Alpine? (I have not seen it yet) Do I splice yours to the Alpine and then just plug into the harness I have from you for the rears? I have done a lot of radios in the past, but none have been this tricky/goofy. If I order your harness what still works on the dash, and can I have it for the weekend? (I am in Columbus,OH) BTW, do I order the one with the resistor in it even if I am not going to do the swix.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:33 PM

Joe, If I do it this weekend I will call you. It depends what I need to get to do the install. I am going to post to see who else wants to meet.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:52 PM

That's cool! I'm staying tuned to this thread as well to pick up some info for when I get around to swapping mine. I haven't picked out a HU for the S2000 yet, but I took the day off tomorrow to play around with the car a bit, so maybe I'll get out to Circuit City and have a look?

Did you see this:
http://lucidautomotive.com/cgi-bin/merchan...roduct_Code=dci
Looks interesting!
Old 03-10-2003, 06:04 PM

I saw this, but I hardly use the dash controls now(I think). Better go sit in the car a remember before I decide.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:20 PM

Hehe, you just want an excuse to go play with the car!!!

I like the dash controls just because I tend to keep the radio door closed. I wouldn't want to live without them, but it just means more money up front to get it all working the way I want.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:23 PM

Was sitting in the S and realized that I use the dash controls a lot, more than I thought. Gota get the dash control. BTW, I was also looking to where to run the amp wire for the head unit. Looks like an easy run on the passenger side at battery level. Crutchfield said that if you don't do this, the factory wiring can melt at sustained heavy load.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:11 AM

Yeah, I was checking crutchfield, too, and they had a kit for that wire that looked like it would make it easy enough to do the install. I'm headed off now to stop by Circuit City (are they open this early in the middle of the week?) and run various other errands.

Later,
Joe

Quick Reply: Wiring for Alpine deck