S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Why get high-end rear speakers when they just fire into the seatbacks???

Old 04-15-2003, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Original poster here...

Based on the feedback and my background with audio, I think I'm going to wait on installing rear speakers. I can only imagine rear speakers would goof up the overall sound, as they will be muffled by the seats. I'll start with the fronts, a new HU, and amp. Then if I'm unhappy with the "fill" and/or volume, I'll consider rear speakers. Unless of course, someone has better advice. As always, thanks to everyone that provided feedback.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by matrix
[B]
Old 04-15-2003, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by 'smyroad

Of the two front door main speakers, one produces awesome imaging and staging at your ankle and the other at the transmission tunnel!
Another point against the whole imaging/staging arguement .
Old 04-15-2003, 02:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 'smyroad
[B]

Of the two front door main speakers, one produces awesome imaging and staging at your ankle and the other at the transmission tunnel!
Old 04-15-2003, 05:00 PM

the rear speakers do make a difference. maybe not a whole hell of a lot. but it makes the sound more full. if you are looking for more volume and better sound then get rid of the stock hu....that will make a huge difference.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:15 AM

$$ is better spent on a sub than rear speakers.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:28 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

More than anything, I think rear speakers give clarity to whatever you're playing. At speed, you have to crank the stock stereo so high just to hear it that you're almost overdriving the stock speakers. All I did was to upgrade the fronts and add rears (the Polks that lucid had on sale a while ago). The sound increase was incredible. Though I still need to turn it up at freeway speeds, I can actually hear what's being played. I'm a big fan of clarity, and almost any upgrade will improve the fronts, and I'm surprised how little the rears are muffled.

Talking about imaging/staging missed the main point, AFAIK...

JonasM
Old 04-16-2003, 07:30 PM

Well, my basic stereo images pretty well- BA entry level 6.5" coaxes, JL 10W6v2 sub, Phoenix Gold M-44 amp (yes, the 1993 model 4 channel, it still works great).

Admittedly, the stock setup will not image. But there are worse locations than the doors. Kick panels that were carefully angled would be nicer, but I think the space down there would be extremely tight.

But, my Alpine 9813 has time correction, which pulls the image back to the center of the car quite nicely. I hear both speakers clearly, stereo separation is great. Not bad for a $400 deck. I think every head unit should have that feature.

With the M-44 running the front coaxes at about 60-70 watts RMS and the sub with about 250 watts, I can cruise down the interstate at 75 mph (with the top down) and CD's and XM come through loud and clear. Bass is a little light, but that is more a function of my extremely small enclosure (think stealthbox; sub requires 9" of mounting depth but still sits flush in the tire well) than anything else.

For me, this is the minimum amount of "clarity" that is acceptable. I tried running the BA coaxes with the CD power only and it sounded terrible. I cannot imagine how adding another pair of muffled speakers behind the seats would have been better, at least for me. Overdriven distortion + more overdriven distortion = distortion. Why make a bad thing worse when you could spend the money making real progress?

Tonal accuracy for my setup is not ideal, but that is a matter of wind noise. If I had better speakers, a lot more power, and a real EQ (CD deck has 5 band parametric EQ built in but that of course is limited) I think that a three speaker setup in this car would sound as good as anything else.

Anyway, happy listening, if you can't hear your speakers, get off the interstate, wind out the engine and listen to some real music!
Old 04-23-2003, 06:55 PM

I bought the $300 rears from lucid and must say they are very necessary to get ok sound.You cant get great sound from this car-too noisy. I didnt want to take a chance on the cheaper rears
Old 04-24-2003, 04:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cshama
[B]I bought the $300 rears from lucid and must say they are very necessary to get ok sound.You cant get great sound from this car-too noisy.

Quick Reply: Why get high-end rear speakers when they just fire into the seatbacks???