S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Where can i find this wire?

Old 05-05-2005, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can i find this wire?

Hi guys, i was just installing my navigation system into my car, the only thing is that it asks me to connect a wire to my CAR SPEED SIGNAL wire... (i have to tap into it) so that the navigation can calculate the time of arrival and stuff based on my speed.

The problem is that i can't find that wire anywhere (i looked in the honda manual). I'm really stuck as this is the last wire that i have to connect for it to work properly.

Can someone please tell me where i could find this wire....

Thanks a lot guys

By the way, this forum is amazing!!!

Dave
Old 05-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you mean the VSS, PM modifry, he'll tell you. (I believe its a grey wire on the ECU)
Old 05-06-2005, 02:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

strange one would think the GPS would use it's own speed sensor to calucate time of arrival - i know mine does
Old 05-06-2005, 04:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get the speed sensor wire in two places - at the ECM in the driver's footwell or behind the passenger dash access panel.

The passenger dash area is easier to get to. The speed wire is the white/black wire on the right connector on the Convertible Top module, both are identified on this web page which has instructions for installing the DCI. Scroll about half-way down the page and you'll see photos looking through the passenger access hole.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:33 AM

Thanks a lot, it is a PIONEER AVIC-80DVD navigation system. I know that they have one of those built in speed sensor unit but you have to buy it seperately and i figured that there would be no point to spend an extra 85$ when i could just install it directly.

I also had another question. It asks me to install a wired onto my handbrake (like the light).... i was wondering if i should do that because i know that for a lot of dvd players, connecting this wire will disable features so that you can't watch while driving but it sort of seems stupid for them to do this on a navigation as i need it to drive....

What do you guys think?

And if i don't connect it there, what should i connect it to?

Dave
Old 05-06-2005, 10:03 AM

Dont connect it. It wont play when the ebrake isnt up.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:50 AM

Hey modifry..
I was looking at your mods page.. and saw your garage door opener trick. I did this mod on my other car a year ago - cool to see someone else do it. I simply used a relay to make the connection to the actual switch in the gaarage door remote control (just tapped it in). I also used the brights activation method.

As I used it I started to get worried that I could do harm by using the brights.. I dont know if the Genie remote I use is designed to turn off after a certain period of button pressing, but when my brights are on driving at night, that means that my garage door opener circuit is also on all the time.. Did you ever think of that? Is this what your resistors are for? Sorry if I missed something.

BTW - thanks for your technical details all over the place, mucho appreciated!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:18 PM

What should i connect the wire that is supposed to be connected to the hand brake to?

Should i just find a source that is always on? or what?

Dave
Old 05-06-2005, 10:36 PM

The wire is most likely a positive feed wire. this means you need to connect the wire to a 'hot' source; that is, a source that is on when you want the Nav sys to run.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:56 AM

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

the handbrake wire should be grounded for the picture to work all th time as your handbrake is shows ground when pulled.

Quick Reply: Where can i find this wire?