S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

whats the biggest speakers that fit with some moddification

Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the biggest speakers that fit with some moddification

What's the biggest or reasonably biggest speakers that will fit in the stock speaker hole, I can trim the stock speaker basket. But I don't want to cut the metal door up. I'm gunna still run the stock deck but run a amp to new speakers I want to have loud bassy music with the top down on the highway any suggestions on amps or speakers for this. No sub
Old 10-19-2012, 05:11 PM

6.5 components.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murderedrsx
6.5 components.
Agreed, I installed some Alpine Type-S components in my doors.
I did however have to cut the holes for the tweeters, since my AP1
did not have the factory tweeter location. If you do go with the
component setup, there is a perfect location on the door panel
that is great for crossover placement.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

the speaker opening in the door is plenty wide enough in our cars, the biggest concern would be the mounting depth. making sure the magnet clears the window and that the speaker surround isnt making contact with the door panel.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ragnarok043
the speaker opening in the door is plenty wide enough in our cars, the biggest concern would be the mounting depth. making sure the magnet clears the window and that the speaker surround isnt making contact with the door panel.
this.

You can KINDA cheat by using spacers so the rear of the speakers don't hit the window when you roll it down

but note that doing this also prevents you from putting the door card back on (spacer protrudes too much)
Old 10-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Im running the Type S speakers as well. At topdown highway cruising speeds, I wouldnt say Im super happy, is this a situation a tweeter would help with?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:39 AM

Most 6.5 speakers will fit just fine. With a little work on your part you can fit a 6.75 speaker but its not as easy. Anything larger require true custom work.

Oh and you can't have loud 'bassy' music without a sub... just saying...

If your taking the time to add an amp just get a 4 channel run the 2 front channels for the front doors and bridge the rear channels to run a sub. The difference is night and day.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 AM

I have a set of Type s as well. I was not happy with the setup completely till someone recommended to set the tweeters on the dash recess for the defroster channel. It sounds great now after some tuning. The tweeters face straight up but reflect perfectly off the windshield. Makes the sound stage feel right in front of you.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by bladerunner954
I have a set of Type s as well. I was not happy with the setup completely till someone recommended to set the tweeters on the dash recess for the defroster channel. It sounds great now after some tuning. The tweeters face straight up but reflect perfectly off the windshield. Makes the sound stage feel right in front of you.
blade can you send a picture on how you mounted your tweeter? i also have an ap1 and ive been considering some components on my car as well thanks il pm u
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
Most 6.5 speakers will fit just fine. With a little work on your part you can fit a 6.75 speaker but its not as easy. Anything larger require true custom work.

Oh and you can't have loud 'bassy' music without a sub... just saying...

If your taking the time to add an amp just get a 4 channel run the 2 front channels for the front doors and bridge the rear channels to run a sub. The difference is night and day.
Curious, how do you get "bassy" without a sub? I tried everything and nothing compares to having a 12" box in the trunk. Took out the shelf because it was playing Mexican jumping beans to the music.

I did the 4 channel amp for 2 door speakers and 2 behind the seats speakers and bridged a sub-amp through the sum inputs. Works brilliantly.

Took a week to eliminate my horrible engine whine and figured out it was due to some faulty Monster RCA cables.

I followed your How-to wire FYI and it helped tons. Thank you darknight1999.

Quick Reply: whats the biggest speakers that fit with some moddification