S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

what would you say is..

Old 10-05-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woww
definetly dont have 6k to spend

i didnt think it would get this expensive
i was hoping to spend under 2k
and i wanted to stay with a 12 inch sub

i mean id like to not buy all these things at once
i want a way to where it will work and sound good as pieces and over time get more components
if that makes sense?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can definitely get a very good quality sounding system for under $2k. figure roughly the following:

~$300 HU
~$250-500 front component speakers
~$300-600 amp (4-channel, bridging the rears for the sub)
~$300-400 sub + enclosure
~$100 wiring, misc

as for what is "best" I concur with most of the other posters: everybody has different preferences, and there is no absolute best, just what sounds good to your ear within your budget.

you mention being more of a home audio person. what type of speakers and electronics do you have at home? that might give an idea as to what you'll like in the car.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 AM

as for building over time, the usual path is start with a new head unit and front component speakers. then add an amp for them, and if you're also adding a sub, then you can go with a 4-channel amp to keep things simple (alternatively, you can get a 2 channel and separate mono sub amp, but that will require more work for installation).

look at the sticky posts here for the spare tire amp rack, which, provided you are willing to give up your spare tire, makes for a very stealth installation for one (or perhaps 2 small) amp(s). since you've given up the spare, you don't really need the tools in the well of the trunk, so that makes a great place for a sub. JL makes a Stealthbox for that space, but it runs close to $700. a good audio shop near you should be able to make a fiberglass enclosure to fit the space, optimized for the sub you select. or there are various vendors, both here (i believe, John, do you still make the boxes?) and ebay, that sell MDF enclosures for the space. these should be more economical than fiberglass.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Philbert nailed how to look at $2K and the order to add stuff. My system parts cost about $2K (shopping widely for best prices) and I'm very happy.

One thought, and opinions might vary, but I'd buy (did buy) a better grade 10" sub for the same price you might budget for a 12". I'm a fan of the PD Fabs $80 stealthbox on e-bay. I haven't been tempted to change it and, for the price, it costs next-to-nothing to try.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Yes I still sell the boxes. I'll have a few ready this week and more to come next week.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by philbert,Oct 5 2008, 08:55 PM
as for what is "best" I concur with most of the other posters: everybody has different preferences, and there is no absolute best, just what sounds good to your ear within your budget.

you mention being more of a home audio person. what type of speakers and electronics do you have at home? that might give an idea as to what you'll like in the car.
I agree with that. What type of home audio gear do you run. Sorry to burst your bubble, but if your plans for the car are to have something that sounds like home audio, its going to require a lot of time and effort.

Home audio is a great reference for tonality, however, imaging and staging can be perfected for its small environment, but it will never compare to home audio.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=philbert,Oct 5 2008, 08:55 PM]as for what is "best" I concur with most of the other posters: everybody has different preferences, and there is no absolute best, just what sounds good to your ear within your budget.

you mention being more of a home audio person.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Oct 4 2008, 07:39 PM
I think you have to start with your budget and what you're willing to give up (e.g. trunk space, modified door panels). The "best" is sky high in price, besides being subjective.
It always surprises me that every forum site has so many "What is best?" threads without the OP stating budget, preference and other important data for a meaningful recommendation.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by takeshi,Oct 7 2008, 10:38 AM
It always surprises me that every forum site has so many "What is best?" threads without the OP stating budget, preference and other important data for a meaningful recommendation.
I love how these threads always wind up with everyone posting what they themselves have installed...lol
Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 AM

my goal wasnt to completly figure out what I was going to get
just to kind of state what YOU would say is top
i went to cnet looking at head units
and they said some jvc one was their top one
i was just gonna try and figure out what you guys thought was the best
maybe a small list or somthing
maybe not with speakers because that is so user based but maybe speaker brand
maybe the top amp brand
starting from a relatively low price to top of the line

is that not possible either?