S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

What are some better door speakers

Old 09-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some better door speakers

I have a question concering upgrading my ap1 door speakers, are ap2's oem any better? or is there a specif brand of door speakers i can upgrade too?
Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to know as well too.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:58 PM

Focal
Old 09-09-2012, 02:28 PM

I have Clarion Pro Series Mids and Tweets in my AP1 run by a Nakamichi Amp and a Kenwood Headunit.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:10 PM

Before anyone can answer that question properly they would need to know the type of music you like and the way you listen your music (how do you normally have your treble and bass set) Also a budget would help... Like your comfortable spending 'X' on speakers.

What are your goals? Are you just looking to keep the stock headunit and just slap some speakers in? If not... plan on spending about $1500-$2000 to install a nice system in the car. That does not include paying someone to install it if you can't do it yourself....... but anyone will tell you doing it yourself is the way to go.

Not all speakers are NOT created equal, nor are they suppose to be. Also last I heard Focal was bought by another company and are not made to the same quality they were in the past; just an FYI Still a good speaker but not really worth the price they commanded in years past. But they are still a good speaker as long as you buy the higher end... assuming you like the sound they produce. Sound is subjective to each and every person. Just be everyone says 'oh get "X brand" because they sound awesome' doesn't mean really mean anything since the person saying that could be tone deaf... so they couldn't help you even if they wanted to

Anyway the following speakers are know to produce a nice sound. I have installed all of these brands myself over the years... doesn't mean I liked them all.

Alpine (the type X are the better ones but the type r are ok too)
Focal (the higher end products are worth the money, the lower end model are ok but you can get better sound for the same money with a different brand)
CDT (this company offers a wide variety of different speaker setups to do produce different sounds...)
Dynaudio (just awesome... but pricey)
JL (I'm not a huge fan but a lot of people love these... I just like other speakers better)
Kicker (the high end products)
MB Quart (these have always been tuned to produce very high 'highs')
Moral (These have a very smooth nice sound but for the price they should... but there is almost no reason to spend that much on speakers for convertible)
Rainbow (great sounding smooth speakers... they offer some cool setups too)
Zapco (a great sounding speaker for the money)

Now every single brand listed above will require and amp... all of them. The best amp for the money although there are a lot of great amps... Alpine PDX... for the money you can't beat them. If you can answer my first question I can point you in the right direction though.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 PM

when i picked up my AP1 second hand the previous owner put an alpine head unit in it along with alpine speakers in the doors. and it seems very much worth it. the set up will not win any competitions but the sound is good. although driving at 70mph w/ the top down will wash out most of the sound that comes out of the system
Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by gregor_konstantin
when i picked up my AP1 second hand the previous owner put an alpine head unit in it along with alpine speakers in the doors. and it seems very much worth it. the set up will not win any competitions but the sound is good. although driving at 70mph w/ the top down will wash out most of the sound that comes out of the system
Add an amp and you'll realize that those speakers just needed more power If they're only hooked up to the head unit they are dying from lack of power. Grab an amp and you'll be good to go. Well worth the $400 bucks.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 AM

I stepped up and bought the best I could afford ...Dynaudio ...makes some amazing speakers that fit perfect in our cars , if you have the cash ...do it , you'll never regret spending some cash on good speakers !!...made a world of diff , o I also hv an amp as well.whole set up cost me about 600.00 ...I did the install ...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i put in some cheaper Alpine coaxial speakers, with the head unit it is good enough sound improvement for me
Old 09-10-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
Originally Posted by gregor_konstantin' timestamp='1347237170' post='21999557
Add an amp and you'll realize that those speakers just needed more power If they're only hooked up to the head unit they are dying from lack of power. Grab an amp and you'll be good to go. Well worth the $400 bucks.
* correction its actually got a SONY DSX X300BXT head unit
are you suggesting my head unit does put enough power to the alpine speakers? - unfortunately i dont know which ones i got in there...

thanks

Quick Reply: What are some better door speakers