S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

What the heck happened?

Old 04-09-2005, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the heck happened?

So I have my Alpine 9855 hooked up and everything was working well. But I didn't hook up the power antenna wire, and remote amp wire to my JL 300/2 amp and I accidently hooked up my RCAs to the subwoofer out.

So I took everything apart and crimped the power antenna wire, remote amp wire, and fixed my RCAs.

As I'm putting everything back in, I had the radio turned on to make sure it was working ... I push it in and it suddenly turns off. wtf? So I take it back out and check to make sure the wiring harness to the Alpine is still in good ... its connected fine, so I try to turn it back on and it won't turn on.

I re-did the ignition wire, 12v power wire, and the ground wire and checked both the fuse on the Alpine unit and the Radio fuse in the car and both looked fine.

My friend who knows more about car audio came over with a Multimeter and we found there was no power to the ignition wire or the 12v wire ... So I assumed it was a bad fuse in the car. Swapped the fuse in the car for the radio with another 15 amp fuse and it didn't fix the problem. Checked with the multimeter and I'm getting power at the fuse box for the radio, and the fuse is showing resistance when you try to flow power through it (using a 9v battery). So its not the fuse and there's power up until the fuse box ...

What gives? Does anyone have any ideas? It seems highly suspect that the wires in the wiring harness would suddenly go bad ... It was working one second and then not another. I'd imagine its the fuse but we checked the fuse and it seems fine.

Is there some other fuse in the car that would effect the radio, or is there something I'm missing here? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!
Old 04-09-2005, 08:06 PM

My sound to easy, but is there a reset switch on your HU. My Kenwood has one and I believe this may have happened to me before. Also check and see if your 12V supply by the glove box is getting power, I think it's tied into the radio for some reason.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:49 AM

Yeah I tried the reset button, that didn't help. The thing is, I don't think the Alpine unit is getting electricity at all ... When we tried the multimeter, we checked for electricity on the ignition and 12v wires on the wiring harness thats part of the car (the blue plug), and got nothing.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:42 AM

You check the fuses - interior fuse box and the one connected to the HU in that little grey box? I had one blow on me when I took the unit out once without disconnecting the battery first.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fuse is showing resistance when you try to flow power through it (using a 9v battery).
a fuse should only show VERY minimal resistance.

if you see any resistance (just measure across the fuse for resistance, should be no need for a 9V battery) replace the fuse again.

also, the HU harness will have it's own fuse, make sure it's not blown as well.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by PJK3,Apr 10 2005, 11:07 AM
a fuse should only show VERY minimal resistance.

if you see any resistance (just measure across the fuse for resistance, should be no need for a 9V battery) replace the fuse again.

also, the HU harness will have it's own fuse, make sure it's not blown as well.
Where is the fuse for the HU harness? ... I didn't know that there was one.

I checked and replaced the fuse for the radio on the interior fuse box. No luck, I checked the fuse on the head unit itself and it looked fine ... Since I'm not getting power with the multimeter at the OEM wiring harness (the one that comes with the car), I'm assuming that the head unit isn't the culprit at this point.

But if there's a fuse in-line on the HU wiring harness itself then that would probably be the problem.

If someone could show me where it is or has a picture of it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2005, 03:39 PM

Does that HU have a harness like this one? Inside the gray box there should be a fuse. You might want to check it out. This is an old one but the newer ones have the fuse in the gray box. Just pop open the side and check.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,Apr 10 2005, 07:39 PM
Does that HU have a harness like this one? Inside the gray box there should be a fuse. You might want to check it out. This is an old one but the newer ones have the fuse in the gray box. Just pop open the side and check.

Nope, the Alpine wiring harness doesn't have a grey box like that. The fuse itself is in the head unit. I'm not getting electricity to the Honda OEM wiring harness, so at this point I don't think anything from the Alpine 9855 is the culprit.

I thought the inline fuse that PJK3 was referring to was on the Honda OEM wiring harness and not on the Alpine one.

I'm so confused, it sounds to me like a fuse is blown, but the radio fuse on the interior fuse box is working, I already tried replacing it and no go. Is there another fuse that could effect power going to the radio?

On the 2004 wiring harness read out, it says that Wire 10 White/Blue is Fuse 22 - Battery Input. Which fuse is fuse 22? In the manual for the interior fuse box, fuse 22 is the Power windows not the radio. I'm
Old 04-10-2005, 08:20 PM

ever thought about putting the factory radio back in to verify that it is the wiring and not the alpine hu?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by converted,Apr 11 2005, 12:20 AM
ever thought about putting the factory radio back in to verify that it is the wiring and not the alpine hu?
Yeah I actually tried that, and the weirdest thing happened.

I pushed the wiring harness into the OEM head unit and it made a noise like it was turning on. But when I put the key in the ignition it wouldn't power up.

That say to me that the 12v power wire is working properly but the ignition wire which tells the head unit the car is started isn't working.

I checked the ignition wire though and it looks fine. Tried changing the fuse for the radio again just to make certain ... no luck.

Quick Reply: What the heck happened?