S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Weird Problem with my Alpine Head Unit

Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Problem with my Alpine Head Unit

So I bought my 05 s2k about 2 months ago. It was all stock except for an Alpine head unit. All was fine until about a week after, I noticed that the unit would switch from cd to radio out of nowhere. It constantly did this so I bought a new Alpine head unit and replaced it.

Same thing still occurs. Another issue I had was that sometimes after I start the car, the deck won't power on until about 5-10 minutes after the car has been on.

I know it has something to do with the powering of the unit but has anyone ever heard of this problem?

The car came with the unit that connects to the deck so I can use the factory radio controls on the left side of the steering wheel. I disconnected it to test if that was what was causing the problem. It wasn't.

Now I have a brand new Alpine deck so I know its not the head unit.

Anyone have an idea or know how I can properly fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the Alpine wiring harness spliced into the factory harness, or did they do it the right way and use the appropriate Honda harness to wire the Alpine into (so it just plugs straight in). The first thing I'd do is test all of those connections (especially Red, Yellow, and Black of the Alpine side) to make sure they're solid. Does it seem to cut off when driving on rough road, cornering hard, or anything like that?

If you have a DMM, pull the Alpine-Honda harness out (assuming you have it), and check continuity between each end of the harness. Have a friend bend the harness around while keeping the meter attached - make sure it doesn't go to open circuit.

If that checks out, the next thing I'd do is look for crossed speaker wires, either due to blown speaker or wire damage. This will be a lot harder to trace, but I believe the Alpine h/u's go into a protetion mode if the outputs get crossed. So, it could possibly cause the same issue.