S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Wang more power to door speakers

Old 07-04-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wang more power to door speakers

Going to rewire my whole systems and upgrade my headunit as well. Currently just running my door speakers which are rockford components off my headunit ( a jvc one that I hate). I have a Boston acoustic 12 inch sub in the trunk underpowered by a 2 channel Rockford handme down amp (150 watts I think). What route do I need to go to run both the sub and door speakers off one amp? I'm new at this but enjoy taking the time to do the work myself it's much more rewarding. Would a 4 or 5 channel amp do the trick? What amp would anyone recommend? I currently have 4ga wire running to my amp that I have now.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by mtw11c
Going to rewire my whole systems and upgrade my headunit as well. Currently just running my door speakers which are rockford components off my headunit ( a jvc one that I hate). I have a Boston acoustic 12 inch sub in the trunk underpowered by a 2 channel Rockford handme down amp (150 watts I think). What route do I need to go to run both the sub and door speakers off one amp? I'm new at this but enjoy taking the time to do the work myself it's much more rewarding. Would a 4 or 5 channel amp do the trick? What amp would anyone recommend? I currently have 4ga wire running to my amp that I have now.
You would want a 3x or 4x amp.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:25 PM

Ha it says Wang more power. My bad that's want more power, I have big thumbs and a little iPhone that hilarious.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If you get an alpine headunit you can use this- alpine ktp-455u http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP4...h=ktp&skipvs=T
This requires no additional wires or anything, it is a simple plug and play. I have this in my tacoma and am very pleased with it. It really cleaned up the vocals, and made them louder (stock speakers). Only problem is finding a place to mount it, I know several people have mounted them in their S, I just can't remember where. If you search around you can find it cheaper (I bought mine brand new off ebay for 85 shipped)
I would not recommend running door speakers and a sub off the same amp. Usually subs require more power and different settings than speakers- which is why I wouldn't run them off the same amp. But it is possible to run everything off a 4 channel amp- 1 channel for each speaker and bridge the last two for the sub.
Take my opinion as just that, my opinion. I am in no way a stereo guy and have very little knowledge on the subject. There are a lot of people with a lot more knowledge than I. I have only done two systems- my first car 10 years ago, and just recently with my tacoma- which only consists of an alpine headunit, alpine ktp-445u and a sound ordnance B-8pt http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT...Sound+Ordnance and I am very pleased with the system as a whole- it was cost effective, simple, light weight, doesn't take up very much space, and sounds really good.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Thanks, that sound ordinance sub probably would have been perfect initially, but I have the Boston so Im going to use that. I dont think it would be loud enough with the top down and my current exhaust set up, but looked at the reviews and it appears to be a solid little sub.