S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Viper Smart Start Alarm

Old 12-05-2009 | 11:01 AM

Default Viper Smart Start Alarm

just wondering if anyone has the vipersmart start in there S2000 and if so how does it work.

http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/
Old 12-05-2009 | 12:39 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

i can't see anywhere that it says it's for manual tranny.
if it does then what you have to do is remote start the car before you lock it up for the night. the remote start has to see the cars in N. also the clutch switch has to be disengaged. thats the switch when you press down on the clutch to start the car.
Old 12-05-2009 | 12:52 PM

the service is either manual or automatic but I want to know is how the alarm is working for people are they having problems with it does it work good does it suck ?
Old 12-05-2009 | 01:40 PM

The smart start is a feature that can be added onto current or prior compatible systems.

Systems like the most recent Viper or Python models will have the option for manual transmission start. Thats what i have on my car.

This iphone deal is a module that plugs into an alarm brain and allows control via your phone. So the iphone part of it really has nothing to do with 5spd vs automatic.

And yes these systems are very good. I cant however comment on how well the iphone app works.
Old 12-05-2009 | 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan,Dec 5 2009, 02:40 PM
The smart start is a feature that can be added onto current or prior compatible systems.

Systems like the most recent Viper or Python models will have the option for manual transmission start. Thats what i have on my car.

This iphone deal is a module that plugs into an alarm brain and allows control via your phone. So the iphone part of it really has nothing to do with 5spd vs automatic.

And yes these systems are very good. I cant however comment on how well the iphone app works.
yeah I guess i should have explained that a little better but thats what Im asking is how is the app working with the phone I have been on the app store and read a 1000 reviews on it but some people hate it some love it hard to make a choice
Old 12-05-2009 | 03:45 PM

My guess would be it wouldnt be an app i would use ALL the time to unlock and lock my car. It seems like it would be a pain to take out my phone, open the app, wait for it to load, then lock my car. Make sense?

I'd see it rather as a better notification device should someone tamper with the car. Since the iPhone (assuming it has network coverage) will notify you anywhere in the country regardless of how far you are from your car.
Old 12-06-2009 | 03:58 PM

i was trying to research this when i barely heard about this smart start .. does the module / app actually notify or page you if the car is being tampered with or is alarming ?
Old 12-08-2009 | 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by christoepurrr,Dec 6 2009, 04:58 PM
i was trying to research this when i barely heard about this smart start .. does the module / app actually notify or page you if the car is being tampered with or is alarming ?
not currently no paging device just the lock unlock arm disarm and I think the trunk and that it there supposively coming out with new updates to allow to way paging but nothing yet
Old 12-08-2009 | 12:17 PM

If it doesnt notify you then that app is completley worthless. DEI has had devices in the past which allow you to lock and unlock your via internet or phone for YEARS.

So this not having notification would be a total fail.
Old 12-10-2009 | 05:39 AM

IMHO not worth the $299.99 for no sort of 2-way page alert at all. The module takes a SIM card if I'm not mistaken, that way it can receive commands via the iPhone from any distance. The only advantages are the range and the fact that you can crank your car with your phone. I bet I could unlock with the keyless FOB faster, than one could slide the bar over and boot up that app.

Quick Reply: Viper Smart Start Alarm