S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Upgrading head unit...do I have everything I need?

Old 08-17-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Upgrading head unit...do I have everything I need?

After owning my my06 s2000 for over two years, I figure it is time to upgrade the head unit. I have no problem with the stock sound, but according to every s2000 driver, excluding myself, the stock head unit is garbage. I'm looking to upgrade the head unit for a more crisp sound. I plan on keeping the dash control functions. From what I have read and understand I need two main components:

1) Head unit. I will likely be going with an Alpine head unit, as I have had great success with their hu's in previous cars. I was thinking about the Alpine UTE-32 Mechless Head Unit; I like the subtle look and the aux/usb drives on the front. Bluetooth is not a requirement. Alternate model recommendations are appreciated ($150 and under, please).

2) Modifry wired DCI. From what I understand, this includes a wiring harness that is simply a plug and play for retaining dash controls.

3) Modifry DCI Plug-n-Play Harness with SCV. I don't completely understand the "auto volume" aka SCV feature. Is the harness with the auto volume feature recommended? What exactly is this feature?

Anything else I need? I plan on keeping factory speakers and not using any aftermarket amps/subs.

Thank you.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bkowa092
3) Modifry DCI Plug-n-Play Harness with SCV. I don't completely understand the "auto volume" aka SCV feature. Is the harness with the auto volume feature recommended? What exactly is this feature?
The SCV is integral to the DCI module. The SCV wire comes with a crimp connector already on it. You crimp onto the speed sensor wire at the convertible top computer behind the cover below the pass. side airbag. The SCV just adjusts the volume up one notch for every so many miles per hour you accelerate, then back down when you slow down. You can adjust the adjustment frequency.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed an Alpine head unit a few weeks ago. I did upgrade the speakers as well. The HU was a large improvement.
Today I put in the KTP-445A 4 channel amp specifically made for Alpine head units. It is plug and play. I did not want to go the route of a seperate amp either but found that driving at higher speeds the volume needed would cause a little distortion and put a lot of strain on the speakers. This amp made a world of difference.
It will not blow the doors off the car but gave me a much cleaner sound at higher volumes. Just enough to make it worth the purchase.
I only mention this as it is a simple add on at a later date. The new HU alone will make a huge difference over stock The DCI works great also.
You will be pleased with your new setup.

Kenal0
Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Modifry wired DCI. From what I understand, this includes a wiring harness that is simply a plug and play for retaining dash controls.
The PnP harness is an optional accessory. It is not included with the DCI since the PnP harness is only available for Alpine & Kenwood head units IIRC.

Is the harness with the auto volume feature recommended?
If you want SCV it's recommended. I don't use it.

What exactly is this feature?
See page 4 of the manual:
http://www.modifry.com/products/dci/...0Operation.pdf