S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

unlocking passenger door from inside?

Old 01-19-2003, 08:59 PM
KLN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unlocking passenger door from inside?

ok, well i bought my car used without an alarm. so i installed a viper alarm. but the question i have is, when the car is on/off is there a switch or anything that you can push to unlock the passenger side door without reaching over and flicking that switch manual?

cause its kind of a hassel when i'm in my car and i drive to a friends house to pick them up, and since my car automatically locks with the alarm once i start driving, when i get there i have to reach over and unlock the door....

so if there is somethin' i'm not understanding about our cars, can someone educate me or even if you know a way to wire some kind of switch, let me know....

thanx
Old 01-19-2003, 10:18 PM

If the drivers door is also locked I just reach down and unlock it, the passenger door mirrors it. At least it does on my car.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:31 PM
KLN

ok, i'll try that next time i'm in my car.

but what if the driver door lock in the unlock position, because sometimes i unlock it to get out of the car after i start my car, so it never goes back to the lock position?
Old 01-20-2003, 05:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Ravskau
If the drivers door is also locked I just reach down and unlock it, the passenger door mirrors it. At least it does on my car.
Are you sure about that? What year model is your car?

On my car (and others I've seen) the passenger door will LOCK if you lock the driver's door from inside, but it will NOT unlock when you unlock the driver's door. It's one of those CYA features Honda put it because of sue-happy Americans. Just like the air bag warning stickers, no auto-up on the windows, etc. Only in America.

As far as I know, the stock car has no way to unlock the passenger door from inside, other than reaching over to do it. Since I'm vertically challenged, it means I have to take off the seat belt, which is a real pain.

If you are willing to do some electrical work on the car, there are 2 ways to unlock the passenger door:

1 - the Keyless entry module has two pins for lock/unlock. If you ground the pin, both doors will lock or unlock. Pin 11 (grn/red) is unlock, 12 (blk.wht) is lock. If you have factory security, there are wires attached to these pins, but otherwise you have to take it apart and solder wires to the pins to get this feature.

2 - the driver's key lock has a switch attached, so that if you turn the key and hold it for 3 seconds, it unlocks the passenger door. This wire is easier to get to, it's behind the driver's side foot well cover (Connector 502, white wire). It's also on the Keyless module, pin 15 white wire. Grounding this wire for 3 seconds will unlock the passenger door.

For my car, I made a module that installs in the console and connects to a crap-load of places in the car. But it allows me to unlock the passenger door by pushing the ROOF switch forward, unlock the trunk by pulling the ROOF switch back, and allows the windows, trunk, and convertible top to operate for one minute after shutting off the ignition. It's pretty cool, but a lot of wiring. Info here

If you're just after an easy unlock, it would be relatively simple to install one relay behind the passenger dash cover and wire it to the ROOF switch and the Keyless module. Pressing the ROOF switch for 3 seconds would unlock the passenger door. It would only be 3 wires to connect. Since the convertible top won't operate unless the brake is on, it would only unlock the door. Now if you ARE putting the top down, it would unlock the passenger door also. If that's a problem, it can be fixed, but requires a little more electronics and one more wire connection.

Old 01-20-2003, 08:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

How tough would it be to install a small little door lock/unlock switch on the driver's door panel that most other cars have? Maybe you could even use one that is for a civic or something so it has the little picture painted on it and everything.

David
Old 01-20-2003, 09:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's what I did quite some time ago. If you look a bit further down that thread, you'll see that "Modifry" actually gave me a much better and safer wire to tap into.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...ck%20userid1612
Old 01-20-2003, 10:11 AM
KLN

thanx for the info...i don't think i want the whole module modifry, but the unlocking feature i definitely want, so maybe i'll go to my alarm installer and throw around some ideas to him to see if he can come up with somethin' neat "stealth" as well....
Old 01-20-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently had my alarm (viper) modified to unlock both doors when car is shutoff. and locked when turned on.

Between this and the auto window module Im set!!! Nothing like the windows rolling down (or up) when u press your alarm fob!
Old 01-20-2003, 08:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by modifry
[B]Are you sure about that?
Old 01-20-2003, 09:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ravskau
[B]
It's a 2002 until I discovered that it would do that, if the car was not running

Quick Reply: unlocking passenger door from inside?