S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Two way radio installation

Old 01-21-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two way radio installation

Unfortunately I will have to install an extensive radio communications system in my new 2003 S2000. I am an emergency radio communicator and since Sept 11 have needed to carry radio gear in my car. Has anyone on the form had experience in installing VHF/UHF radios in there car. Also I may try to install an HF system. The Tow installation on the rear bumper looks as though it might be a good start. This will be in addition to an upgrade of the OEM radio installation. My present job is involved with satellite news transmitters (as used in the trucks). This could be a very involved installation.
Andy (WB6CLS)
2003 S2000
1955 MG TF1500
Old 01-22-2003, 09:13 AM
Rex

Andy,

I have a VHF/UHF radio (Icom 2710) installed in mine. The radio is behind the trunk liner and the seats (to the left of the spare tire). There is enough space for a couple of radios. I attached Mag-Mounts the the radio's mounting bracket instead of trying to bolt onto anything. They do a good job of keeping the radio from sliding around, and it is quickly removable. The remote head is on a bracket made out of 1"x1/4" Aluminum, with holes for the Cargo Net mounts to go through, that the head unit is velcroed to. This sticks up vertically beside the Transmission Hump next to the Radio Door. The Mike Cord comes out behind the Coat Hook Panel of the Passenger Seat. I ran power direct from the Battery (there is a grommet in the Firewall behind the Battery) alongside (actually through) the Transmission Hump into the trunk.

The rear Towhook is great for the antenna. I welded a piece of Stainless Steel plate to the end of a M12-1.75 x 90mm Stainless Bolt for an NMO mount antenna. I used two Hex Nuts to lock the bolt into place, since the Towhook threads are a through hole. I got a spare Towhook Cover and drilled a hole just big enough for the Bolt to go through, the filed a dimple at the bottom of the hole for the Coax. The coax feeds behind the bumper and through the same grommet the License Plate Light wire goes through. The VSWR is pretty high (3:1) since there is not much of a ground plane, but it works well. Other antenna mounting options I considered were a fold-over Trunk-Lip Mount.

I think I have some photos I can email.

Rex (KC8HKP)
Old 01-22-2003, 12:32 PM

Thanks Rex:
This is something along the lines I was thinking. There will be a delay in buying the radios as cash flow is hit hard, I bought the car outright.
Andy WB6CLS