S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Thoughts on my idea for a sound setup

Old 09-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a quick update: I installed "everything" over the course of the week after work. Power to the battery was easy to run with an old catch snake through the grommet under the battery, that was nice and easy with some lube. Ran the subwoofer wire along the driver side doorsil, I have to say this car is really easy to work on. Installed the RF P16-S speakers in what I thought was a great job, made them fit the oem basket by removing the rubber surround on the magnet and was able to get all the wiring looking great. Everything screwed in well. I did cutout 1.75" holes on the door panels for the tweeters, my 2000 AP1 doesn't didn't have the mounts.

Installed the headunit which was also easy enough. I preprogrammed the ASWC on my computer to the Sony headunit and it works good enough (I don't care for the mute button. I just want volume and next track). But then came the testing.

The P16-S tweeters are DEAFENING. The Sony GS820BT headunit has some really cool features, like you can control the EQ and many other features using an app. Here's what the EQ looks like for my ears not to bleed, yes I know its a horrible sight:

With the EQ set this way it was kind of acceptable, but didn't leave much room for actually tuning the system, that was just about level.

Thanks to a chat with Crutchfield, they upsold me on the Polk Audio DB 6502 components which are $31 more than the RF components were, those are now on their way. But joke's on them. The headunit went on sale for $30 off for Labor day weekend and they're refunding that difference since I made my order, so really, I'm only out a dollar and change for the polks which the rep swears are much mellower tweeters. They also have much higher sensitivity so that should help too, as others commented on the RF's lack of.

The subwoofer and headunit by the way, worked as expected. The volume was there, but the P16-S were just not right for the S2000. Funny enough the only review that I found with an S2000 on crutchfield's site was a nasty 2 star review saying how bad the tweeters were. That dude was right.

I wasn't looking for a booming system, but my 10" shallow Pioneer sub does fill the frequencies below where the doors were hitting with the crossovers set up on the HU. I'll make a post once the replacement speakers are in and the whole system is complete. The GS820BT headunit is good so far, but really can't give it a thumbs up until I hear some decent sounding speakers through it.