S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

For those that installed a proximity alarm...

Old 03-04-2004, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those that installed a proximity alarm...

Where did you put the sensor? What does it look like also since I've never seen one. Do they need to drill a hole?

Also where did you put the LED light for your alarm?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:07 AM

You can put it under the center console. That's good for symmetry - left & right sides sensed equally. Such sensors do have 'lobing' - they're not exactly equally sensitive in alldirections, depending on surfaces nearby. One model is a rectanglar box about half the size of a pack of cigarettes. Maybe try a search on wlaurent 's alarm system. Depending on how you route the cables you may want to drill the metal under the center console ( it'll be hidden by carpet) to run the wiring ( a 4 wire ribbon cable).

LED can be placed in the center console 'between' the flasher switch and roof switch, its pretty visible there. When you decide your location ensure that the plastic directly underneath where the hole is to go is actually flat - there's somee plastic 'ribbing' underneath that can get in your way. Remember you'll want room for a tiny nut to clamp down the LED.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:53 AM

also put proximity sensor in center console. I have excellent sensitivity from there.

the LED is in the driver's side A-pillar.

(I have wlaurent's alarm system. it's pretty good except for the beeper alert system, which totally sucks.)
Old 03-04-2004, 05:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I originally had the prox in the secret compartment. It kinda sucked in there. It was too sensitive vertiacally. I would get false reads from tree branches over my car (8-10 feet up.) I would set it off in my garage, by walking around in my bedroom (over the garage.)

I removed the board from the plastic housing it comes in. Then removed the perforated black leather part of the top of the center console from the plast parts of the center console. I placed the sensor under the leather part. If I need to adjust it, I can remove just the leather part with no tools. Very slick (I can say that becasue it was not my idea.)

There is a link in my sig to a thread about my CompuStar alarm. There are pix of my prox in there, and someone else posted pix suggesting the location I just described. Hope that helps.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:40 AM

That's the prox in my secret compartment.

The LED is in the "elbow" of the a-pillar trim. It's a slick location I have used for every car I have had an alarm on for the last 10 years or so.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also have WLaurent's alarm.

my prox is inside the center console, under the leather armrest/cupholder area... unlike Pete, i didn't pull the electronics from the enclosure, but instead mounted the whole box below the console. i'm using the same prox model that he has, and considering how easy the console pops up, adjustment is quick and easy. (i'd be happy to provide pics if needed)

i also have my LED in the driver's side A-pillar. i'm not sure what Pete means by the 'elbow' but, mine is in the curve so it's visible from both the driver and passenger side. it's a great location and very visible except from the rear passenger quarter... i've considered adding another LED on the passenger A-pillar, but haven't found a good source for a matching LED.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:16 AM

Jarod, are you asking cuz you want to add it as an addition to your Honda factory alarm
Old 03-04-2004, 03:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PJK3
i also have my LED in the driver's side A-pillar.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by PortugueseS2K
Jarod, are you asking cuz you want to add it as an addition to your Honda factory alarm
No. I'm interested in getting an aftermarket alarm and adding proximity sensor to it, but I just don't know where to put it. Plus I'd like to know where I could put the LED too. I don't really want to put the LED somewhere I'll have to drill into an expensive part.

Also, how easy it is it to pop off the center console? If I give my car to an alarm installer, I'm just worried they're gonna break something trying to pry that off.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jarod

Quick Reply: For those that installed a proximity alarm...