S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Thinking of proximity sensor...

Old 07-06-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found with the prox in the S it's all about setup. You have to have someone who knows about alarms do it and once it's done right, you'll not have issues. The guy who helped me used a small piece of tin on one end of the prox to block the sensitive area and increased it where it counts. In the 9 months of having mine in, I've had **1 ** false alarm. 1 foot perimeter of the car it warns you.. With the top down, if anything enters the cockpit area(ie) arms, hands etc... It will warn quickly and if it doesn't clear... Full alarm.

And although people say it won't do anything, I beg to differ. With a tilt, glass breakage, rain, proximity, door, electrical sensors all working, I feel alot better about leaving the car in a mall parking lot than I would without it.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:44 AM

I am just concerned because of my neighborhood. It is not a bad neighborhood by any means, but some punk kids ride in on bikes every now and then and smash mail boxes and windshields and windows. My room mate's ex had his rear window on his CRX smashed and did not find out til the morning. I just want something that will let me know asap as soon as someone breaks into my car....so I can RUN THEM DOWN!!

John
Old 07-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Jul 6 2005, 12:44 PM
I am just concerned because of my neighborhood. It is not a bad neighborhood by any means, but some punk kids ride in on bikes every now and then and smash mail boxes and windshields and windows. My room mate's ex had his rear window on his CRX smashed and did not find out til the morning. I just want something that will let me know asap as soon as someone breaks into my car....so I can RUN THEM DOWN!!

John
Get an alarm with a two-way reciever built into the key fob. DEI makes one, CompuStar makes one with a much bigger range.

The CompuStar will be harder to find and a little more expensive. I think the DEI is probably easier to use, ie: More Intuitive. The CompuStar works well and offers a bigger range of protection.

A proximity sensor on either will be an add-on. Get a DEI prox.

You can mount the prox here:

The center console comes off as one piece with the "arm rest" attached to the bigger piece (with the cup-holder and shift boot.) There are pins on the armrest that are pushed through holes in the rest of the center console then melted to keep them from coming back apart. Grind off the melted plastic and you will have two pieces again. It's really no big deal, I promise. Then you can easily remove just the armrest to adjust the prox sensitivity when needed. The armrest AND center console will, individually, remain well attached to the car even without being attached to each other. Once it's on, you cannot tell the difference from stock.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ruexp67,Jul 6 2005, 11:52 AM
You can mount the prox here:
Do you ever leave your cell phone in the center compartment?

My cell phone will set off the proxy in my Integra without fail.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:31 AM

I haven't notice my cell setting it off, but the prox seems to set off my radar detector.

I was working on wiring up a relay that would dis-engage the prox once the car was started, and automaticlly re-engage when the ignition was turned off. I've been too lazy lately though.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm running a DEI based system and i'm quite happy with how it's performed.

the DEI prox is a nicely done 2 stage alert, which chirps when people get close and goes full alarm when people reach in... i've witnessed it encourage people to keep their polite distance numerous times. they go to looking inside (checking out or being nosey), get the chirps, and stand back to look from a bit more distance. it's rare that it falses other than being over eager on the warn-away chirps.

i also had problems w/ the prox setting off my radar detector (weird intermittent Ka band), but unlike Pete, i have set mine up to shut the prox off when the car's ignition is on.... problem solved.

my prox is mounted under the armrest (just a bit more aft of Pete's) and i've found it's sensitivity to be quite good once adjusted. i think i spent initially over an hour tweaking the dual zone ranges, then a few finishing tweaks later down the road.

Their subtle methodology hasn't changed since their initial 8040 that came out nearly 15 years ago. Back then proximity alarms went like this:

"PROTECTED BY VIPER! STAND BACK!" To anyone who got within 3 feet of the car. Made life real fun parking next to one in a parking lot.

And the car usually got keyed or their doors kicked in.
that reminds me of a guy who used to live in the same dorm that i did at LSU back in the late 80's. he had some sort of prox that would allow you to record your own voice for playback.
when his prox would go off, it would alarm and you'd hear this guy yelling, "GET THE F**K AWAY FROM MY CAR PUNK! ....... I SAID, GET THE F**K AWAY FROM MY CAR!!"

i saw it go off a couple times, and boy would you see some guys run from it!
did i mention, the car belonged to a 6' tall body builder type who also happened to be a cheerleader? you know the guy who throws those cute little 110 lb cheerleaders 5 to 10 feet up in the air? yeah.... him.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:06 PM

Phil, you were dating a male cheerleader?

j/k Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, but i was envious of him getting to throw those cute little 110 lb cheerleaders around....

(edit: and before anyone else says it... i mean the cute little 110 lb FEMALE cheerleaders.... )
Old 07-12-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently got the compustar installed in my car, and my prox sensor is a little too sensitive in my parking garage. I know where it is and how to adjust it, but I am not sure which one is for which zone? Cuz there is a "warning" zone, and a "alarm" zone. Saying that the side with the wire coming out of it is the right side, which one is which?? THANKS!
Old 07-12-2005, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AH, nevermind I got it

"warning" zone is left (green) , "trigger" zone is right (red)

Quick Reply: Thinking of proximity sensor...