S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Thinking of proximity sensor...

Old 07-01-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of proximity sensor...

Hey everyone-

I am considering getting an alarm for my car. It will not be for a few months, but I am researching now. I am looking for one with the mobile transponders (beep of something when alarm goes off). I am also looking to get a sensor that will set the alarm off if someone reaches into the car with the top down.

Any suggestions on the alarm?

Any suggestions on the sensor?

I had this on my 96 Celica GT convertible and it worked great, but I cannot remember what I used .

Thanks

John
Old 07-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Banned

Any reputable alarm...

Id say something from DEI, but Im biased.

Their prox is pretty good...cant recall the model number now...508D keeps popping in my head but Im thinking thats the shock sensor.

DEI.com if you want to look at their stuff, or stop by a local best buy or Circuit city.
They both carry DEI security, etc.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:24 PM

The DEI umbrella includes Viper, Clifford, Hornet, Python, Avital, and Valet. Why go DEI? The add on accessories are all compatible with any of those alarm brands.... and they are always accessible in most car audio shops. Start off by looking at Viper 690xv, Clifford Matrix RSX 2.5, Python 881xp.... and you can pick up accessories here... www.autopreservers.com
Old 07-02-2005, 02:58 AM

Yeah, the 508D is their dual zone shock sensor. Pick it up on eBay for ~$30.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:55 AM

Viper all the way. Get the installer to use air horns instead of the puny siren. No one will ignore the alarm then
Old 07-05-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I always liked Alpine's dual-zone implementation. It's subtle. You want a warning chirp to be subtle to avoid pissing off people who would otherwise not be interested in your car.

Walk up and look in window and the LED noticeably starts to blink fast.
Hang around for 10 seconds, the car chirps softly four times
The zone then shrinks to cover the car interior. It won't chirp again for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Reach inside or put your hands on the glass and the alarm sounds

The bad side of Alpine is that they are on-again off-again making car alarms. Clifford (now DEI) is also a good company. I'd pay attention to the integration of the zone sensor and the alarm.

You can also use the zone sensor to help reduce falses. There's no need for a glass breakage sensor on my car because a thief would more likely cut the top to get in - tripping the zone sensor. If he did break the glass, the movement in the passenger compartment by the glass or brick would set off the zone sensor as well.

The biggest mistake was getting the DEI digital tilt sensor - what a piece of shiat that was.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:40 PM

where and for how much $ can I get this Alpine alarm? I have an alpine HU now, and love it.....good engineering.

John
Old 07-05-2005, 02:08 PM

Save your money...

Unless you are in a seriously bad neighborhood they are more of a nuisance than they are worth. Had to keep adjusting mine almost weekly.

BTW I have the Clifford 2.5x w/proximity
Old 07-05-2005, 02:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Jul 5 2005, 02:40 PM
where and for how much $ can I get this Alpine alarm? I have an alpine HU now, and love it.....good engineering.

John
Alpine stopped making alarms (SEC-100 and SEC-100R) a year or two ago. If they are offering anything now I am not aware of it.

Their subtle methodology hasn't changed since their initial 8040 that came out nearly 15 years ago. Back then proximity alarms went like this:

"PROTECTED BY VIPER! STAND BACK!" To anyone who got within 3 feet of the car. Made life real fun parking next to one in a parking lot.

And the car usually got keyed or their doors kicked in.

All I suggested was look at major manufacturers that have the proximity sensor as part of their alarm - not as an add-on. I just described how Alpine does it - and I really like it.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:39 PM

The newer DEI proximity sensors have a dual zone perimeter along with warn-away and full trigger adjustments right on the unit. The warn away will chirp a few times while the full trigger will go off when something is in the zone too long.

Quick Reply: Thinking of proximity sensor...