S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

System ideas.....suggestions?

Old 06-29-2004, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System ideas.....suggestions?

I plan on installing this setup, let me know what you guys think

pioneer premier deh-960mp
infinity perfect 6.1 fronts
infinity perfect 5.1 rear in Spods

i have a 75wpc amp right now....forget brand but it is alright for now, however what would you recomend i go with later to power this setup.....and do you think it will sound good? I am not concerned abotu a sub at this point but i may later install one! thanks in advance!
Old 06-29-2004, 09:24 AM

no help?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:33 AM

Get a JL500/5 to power your whole system (including future sub). Or, go with a nice four-channel amp (125-150wx4 @4ohms) to power your mids & highs and add a dedicated sub amp later.

Or, get a two-channel amp and attenuate the S-pods so they don't overpower your front speakers. And add a sub amp later.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:03 AM

attenuate?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:49 PM

Yeah, if you have a two channel amp playing all your mids and highs (doors and SPods), then you would want to attenuate the rear speakers so they are not getting the same amount of power as the door speakers. Otherwise, it will always be loud behind you, but not in front of you, thus eliminating a nice soundstage.

However, if you get attenuators (they restrict power to the speakers), you can basically have more power in the front rather than the rear speakers for a better soundstage.

However, if you have a four channel amp, you can easily adjust the gains/controls on the amp to decide how much you want going to the speakers. It just depends on how you're setting up your system.

I've used many four-channel amps to run my whole system in the past. The first two channels would run the mids and highs in the front and the back. The back were attenuated. The other two channels were bridged on bass.

You really have to decide how you want to do it.

The cool thing about the JL 500/5 is that it's set up for 100w x 2 on the first two channels (door speakers) and 25x2 on the other two channels (SPods or rear speakers), thus giving the "attenuation" you need so the rear doesn't overpower the front. In addition, you have another 250w x 1 for the sub. Only problem with that is that in most cases 250w is not going to be enough power for a sub in the trunk.

So it depends on what type of sub you are running, the enclosure, etc.

I've heard that the JL 500/5 works good if using the JL Stealtbox in the trunk (it doesn't need a lot of power). You will have to ask others how it sounds (some members have them here).

Otherwise, you may need two amps. One for mids/highs and one for the sub (with more power). Check some of the systems at the top of the page to see what kinds of things they have done and get some ideas. You'll see that many people went with a two-amp set up.

How much do you want to spend? What kind of sound do you want? What kind of sub do you plan on adding later?

Since you're only hooking up your mids/highs now, you can just use the amp you have. Later on, think about something else.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:40 AM

sub will be one or two tens later, if i go with the trunk mount then two tens(not sure brand or type but probably eclipse titaniums) and footwell of passenger side would be one ten. It just depend on how i want it done later.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:10 AM

I wasn't aware Eclipse MADE titanium 10s. But if they do, then you damn sure won't be running it off one amp. Any reason you want those? THey're good subs, but unGODLY expensive for what you get.

And you're going to stick a 10 in the footwell too eh?

Should prove interesting...
Old 06-30-2004, 05:26 AM

no no.....i am not sure if i want a single ten in the footwell or two in the trunk.......not both! i can get them for fairly cheap. i like the sound of them. I may keep things uniform and just go for infinity perfect subs though not sure. that is a ways down the road anyway. I think i have decided on that pioneer deck though. after many other recomendations for alpine i cant do it i dont like the look of them at all. Anyone have anything against that pioneer deck?
Old 06-30-2004, 07:10 AM

I'm not a fan of Pioneer decks, but many of them are okay. I was going to get an Alpine (I love the 9831), but ended up going with the Clarion 745. I'm happy with it and it had some things the Alpine did not. I also considered Eclipse, but the Clarion and Alpine were better value for the money.

As for subs, one 10" should be plenty, and yes, you would need a ton of power for the Eclipse Titanium. Go with the aluminum series. Get one and put 500w on it!

I wouldn't do it in the footwell. Go for an enclosure in the trunk.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:40 AM

Ii ordered the clarion 945 deck........anyone like that one?

Quick Reply: System ideas.....suggestions?