S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

SWI-X Install Tip

Old 05-25-2002, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SWI-X Install Tip

The question came up again to me about how to fit the swix & harness behind a new aftermarket radio when installing it. The answer is you don't have to place in BEHIND the radio.

On my personal installation using a Ken MP919. I needed all the space possible to connect 3 sets of RCA outputs for amps. I located the SWIX on the SIDE of the radio out (there's space for it) as shown in the last photo. You simply remove the knee panel to access it. Pull the eye wire out to the front of the radio and everything will simply slide back.

When wiring your harness, keep it 6-7" between plugs and solder each wire. Insulate well.

As shown in 1 and 2 photos I located the eye in the top right corner of the radio. Since this is a motorized face and flips around its just on the black trim not bumping anything. Instead of having it point out its directed TOWARDS the face of the radio directing the signal to the face's IF receiver. It's also very seamless and you don't notice its there from a driver's or passenger's point of view. I have the face adjusted upwards making it easier to view and directly in the path of the the eye.

The result? There is a slight delay in response from the SWIX. Slight meaning if I quickly jab the dash button it won't function. You have to press the button. Its very predictable and precise. After a minute you don't even notice any delay.

A good thing about this radio is you can shut off the internal amp and just use the outputs for external amps. Why you can't turn off the Dmask security is beyond me, since i leave the door open all the time I doesn't really matter. To be on the safe side I didn't wire the mute (on kenwoods it must function as a power button turning off the radio) since MODE cycles Tuner-CD-ALL OFF its redundant.